Another lucky find, Beardshaw & Son

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by theoldfart, Sep 18, 2017.

1. theoldfart

theoldfart Member

This is the second 19'th century British saw I've found this year. It's 26" rip at the tooth line and the handle is fully intact

Attached Files:

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi,

I thought when I saw that your saw was a handsaw that I hadn't seen many around as compared to backsaws and a quick glance at HSMOB goes towards confirming this as most of the marks featured are backsaw marks.

There is a J Beardshaw handsaw put at around 1880 which has an arched mark similar to yours but lacking the "London Spring". In fact there are no Beardshaw marks recorded in BSSM bearing "London Spring" and so it may well be a first.

A nice saw with a nice handle

Fred

I have just found that I have one in my photo file, but with "cast steel" only. It does have some nice vestigial crowns though.

Attached Files:

3. theoldfart

theoldfart Member

Fred, thanks for the information. Would the blank medallion have any impact on dating?

Attached Files:

4. David

David Most Valued Member

Hello all,
    If we are to judge by the die stamps, I think the saw that theoldfart (Shall we have to call you that? It seems almost disrespectful.) has shown is earlier than 1880 and, in fact, based on the marks and attributions in BSSM, I'd say it's closer to 1840. The stamps found there which show "Beardshaw" in an arc with "& Son" in a straight line underneath the arc, like the one in question here, are all dated c1840. The blind medallion was certainly in use in the 1830's as well. All of which inclines me to think it's earlier than 1880 and probably somewhere around 1840.

Still, one question I do have is when the term Warranted came into use on Sheffield saws, and having just consulted BSSM I find on page 73 the indication that the word came into use after c1870. Although that indication comes with the caveat that it's a generalization and shouldn't determine date it still leaves a little confusion when trying to date this saw. In that case, I guess sometime from 1840 to 1870 might perhaps be a safe dating? (BSSM has Smith & Son saws with cast.steel and warranted dated to 1840 as well.)

Fred, until your comment I hadn't previously realized how uncommon Beardshaw & Son full sized saws were. In light of that information, it seems appropriate to attach images of another example here as well.
    David
    Beardshaw & Son German Steel.jpg Beardshaw & Son German Steel stamp.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  5. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

According to my inventory list I have 4 Beardshaw & Son full size handsaws, which makes them more common than most makers in my stash. One of them has the same stamp as TOF's saw with "Beardshaw" arced over "& Son" over "Warranted London Spring"
    I also have a couple of backsaws, the "Beardshaw" arced over "& Son" has "cast steel" alongside, but the "Beardshaw & Son" arced over "Sheffield" has "cast.steel" alongside, which would normally indicate that the "cast.steel" "Beardshaw & Son" is the earlier saw.
    The above saws are pictured in http://www.backsaw.net/forum/index.php?threads/beardshaw-son-hand-saw.523/#post-3224 , within my posts of march 19 2014 and Aug 4 2016

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  6. summerfi

summerfi Most Valued Member

Hi All,
    Here is my only Beardshaw & Son which, like the one David posted, is marked German Steel.
    Bob

Beardshaw2.jpg Beardshaw3.jpg Beardshaw4.jpg

7. theoldfart

theoldfart Member

Thanks to everyone for commenting. To put folks at ease, my real name is Kevin and most folks just use TOF.