Mitchell & Co Cast-Steel

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by houblon, Sep 15, 2017.

1. houblon

houblon Member

I have found another saw at the flea market (US east cost) and wonder if someone can put a date on it.

full_01s.jpg

The stamp reads MITCHELL & C CAST-STEEL (dash). There are three icons around (turkeys?). No Sheffield or other origin visible.
    stamp_02.jpg
    The handle is not only chewed up where you would expect it, but also inside the grip. I beleive this was cuased by hanging it from a nail (there is a indentation at the highest point) and then banging it against the nail when taking it down. Owners stamp reads T WHITSITT.

handle_01.jpg

handle_02.jpg

2. David

David Most Valued Member

Hello Houblon,
    BSSM has a tentative identification of a similar mark to Robert Mitchell of Sheffield, working dates approximately 1837-1846. Your saw, with its blind medallion would certainly be at home in that time frame. BSSM also has a listing for Samuel Mitchell & Co, but his dates of 1821 - 25 would be a little earlier than your saw looks to me (primarily due to the blind medallion, which I haven't seen that early. But, then, I'm no expert). Still, the rounded toe is more common on earlier saws, perhaps pre-1830. You can see just how tentative this all is.

I love the idea of the stamp being surmounted by three turkeys, but I'd bet they're probably just poorly stamped crowns. In any case, it's a nice early saw and a good find. I'd like to find one myself.
    David

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  3. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi,

As per normal I may not be of an enormous amount of help, but I would ask you to look at this:-

http://www.backsaw.net/forum/index.php?threads/mitchell-co.28/

and if you look especially at Simon's post at the end of the thread you will see that Mitchells are not easy.

Having said that, what appears on your saw, Joe's saw on the above thread and a Mitchell that I have is cast (hyphen) steel. The hyphen seems to be contemporaneous with cast (dot) but it is far less common. In fact the only other maker that I know who puts a hyphen in their cast steel is Barber and Genn.

The rarity of the Hyphen makes me wonder if all three (early - ish) saws mentioned above are the product of one company, or that company and its successors.

In BSSM , there is a cast - mark that is attributed to Robert Mitchell, but with a caveat that this attribution is uncertain, a phrase which I think, without wishing to try to read Simon's mind, has a certain euphemistic quality about it.

Having said that, yours would fit in very well with Robert, as per David and BSSM, but it doesn't do a lot for my single maker theory - but never mind that. It is probably pre 1840's on the cast hyphen alone and possibly back to the mid/early 1830's although the handle style worries me for a date as early as this.

Fred

4. houblon

houblon Member

Davis & Fred,
    Thanks for your feedback. I'm quite surprised at the age. Will de-rust and clean lightly.