A curiosity...

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by nick1854, Sep 9, 2017.

1. nick1854

nick1854 Member

Is this a small grafting saw?

[​IMG]DSCF0306 by nick tasker, on Flickr

[​IMG]

I can't find any names on the saw plate as it is badly corroded and pitted. No owner's name on the handle either.

Thanks

2. Force

Force Active Member

Could be a kids toy saw.
    That's right no O.H&S back then.
    Chris

3. Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong Active Member

I looked at a very similar saw 3 weeks ago, the owner thought it might of been a children's saw. I liked the handle and tried hard to buy it, after he said no I found a makers stamp and it was a Barber & Genn.

This saw had a adult size handle and to me it looks like something you'd use in restricted space like a wall cavity where you are tying to cut a straight line on one side but couldn't push the saw through to far.

Smith's Key does list grafting saws at 7-10"

Peter

4. nick1854

nick1854 Member

Thanks Peter. The handle looks and feels like one from a compass saw, but the blade is much wider and has a (large) nib. I don't think it has been altered as the split nuts show the file marks from finishing them flush to the timber of the handle, and the marks are in line with each other. I hope that makes sense!

What is Smith's key?

Nick

5. Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong Active Member

Nick
    I was wrong about Smith's Key the grafting saw is listed as 10-14" getting older doesn't help my memory.

Smith was a printer in the early 1800's and to make it cheaper for tool makers to advertise Smith made some generic images and back in the day these were called keys. Do a search on line there is a French download of Smith's Key. It's about 150 pages of tools made in 1815 and interesting to look at.

Peter

6. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

There's something not quite right about this one – as Nick says, the handle is compass saw style, not like any grafters I can find in any of the Sheffield saw catalogues, which are like Smith's Key, and don't list anything shorter than 10inches. The finishing file marks are a contrary sign, but would not be beyond a re-modeller with an eye to authenticity, and one handy with a file to make a nice nib. I don't think a toy saw would have such a chunky handle.
    Even so, sharpened and set this would be a nice little tool to use.

Simon

7. nick1854

nick1854 Member

Oh no Simon that's just not fair........ people out there not following the rules and customizing saws to their own liking! And yet at the same boot sale I bought this from the week before I bought a beautiful unused panel/rip saw handle with the Moulson Medallion attached. With the availability of parts it is no surprise that some uncatalogued tools surface.

8. Underthedirt

Underthedirt Most Valued Member

It does perhaps look as if the fasteners are in back to front, & that would be very unusual for a manufactured saw, but could have been made by a left handed apprentice in the factory.
    A cool little saw though & I bet it feels good in the hand.

Regards

Mari

9. nick1854

nick1854 Member

Thanks Mari. I didn't catch on about the saw nuts being reversed, it's obvious when you are told!

10. gmac

gmac Active Member

Hi Nick,

I found your little saw to be very familiar to a couple that I have come across.

The blades on both of mine are 8" long, the one with the nib is 11 ppi, and the other 6 ppi
    which for such a small blade I feel is is rather coarse.

The handles appear to be suited in size to their blades but, you can only get two
    adult fingers to comfortably grip, and then the horns get in the way of your palm
    and the web between your thumb and finger.

Which makes me think that they were made for the younger gentleman of the house
    to use when making his billy cart???

Graham.

IMGP3022.JPG IMGP3024.JPG

11. nick1854

nick1854 Member

Hi Graham

I haven't got my saw here to check but the handle is comfortable in my (big) hand. As I said before it's just like a compass saw. I can see from your photos how the handles are scaled down with the blades, suggesting they are toy saws. Mine feels like a proper adult saw, even if it is small!