Is this a Moses Eadon?

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by theoldfart, Jul 25, 2017.

1. theoldfart

theoldfart Member

IMG_5506.jpg IMG_5507.jpg IMG_5508.jpg IMG_5509.jpg I just picked this up on Sunday. It's in rough shape, about 13 3/4' at the tooth line, 2 1/4" at the toe and 2 5/8" at the heel. The plate has been more that abused and will need replacement PROVIDED i doesn't have any historical value. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

2. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hi "theoldfart" et al.
    It seems you have found an old Eadon saw. After a look at Simon's BSSM for a match to the stamp, there doesn't seem to be one represented from the Moses Eadon company. They began in 1837 and continued as the "President Works" until 1971. It could well be a Moses Eadon saw but any of the other stamps always had Moses first name. Simon has also sited other possibilities. Eadon, Sheldon and Co were around from 1928-33 at the same address as said Moses Eadon or an Eadon, Jessop, Fox and Co, who were Park Works in 1828. It isn't mentioned but I would think Moses might be a part of these companies.None of these are represented with a stamp as you have on the back of the saw. I would say the saw predates 1840 and from what I see the handle is in pretty good shape. I don't know if you are hoping to use this saw for cutting purposes and are hoping that a change in the blade would provide what you need for that great cut. It is yours to do what you want with but the cost of a new blade, sharpening and fettling for fit could be even more costly than what you have already invested and buying a wonderful saw for your purposes might be less investment. You may have figured where I am going with this but whatever you decide, enjoy this saw and thanks for sharing.
    enjoy,
    Joe S.

3. theoldfart

theoldfart Member

Joe, thanks for the reply. I was looking for opinions on whether or not to rehab the saw for use. I was pretty comfortable with my age guess at predating 1850 or so. I'm leaning towards preserving the saw as is. The plate is unusable, it has through cracks from something striking it near the spine. What kind of work should I do to preserve it?

4. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

I'm very happy to see what I think is almost certainly the earliest Moses Eadon saw recorded. I appreciate Joe's thoughts, but am inclined to the view that the two or three partner predecessors of Moses Eadon would almost certainly have had a mark that ran to more than a single word, whereas Moses when he started out could well have done. I have to emphasise that that is speculation. I think I detect a characteristic dot between the words German and Steel, which puts the date more firmly as Joe says – pre1840. The London pattern/2 screw handle also fits with this being a second quality saw.
    Nice one, TOF. May I take it that you would have no objection to my adding the mark to my database? Thanks in anticipation.

Simon

5. theoldfart

theoldfart Member

Simon, by all means have at it. What caught my eye was the handle pattern as it was in a bucket with a few other saws. The vendor looked over my way and said "any saw, $2"! Needless to say I didn't haggle. If you need better pics please let me know and again thanks to you and Joe for responding to my post.

6. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Thanks, TOF, picture added to the list.
    Simon