KENYON brass back tenon saw 19''

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Piney56, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Piney56

Piney56 Member

Hello , new member here. I did not realize the history behind this saw when I purchased it a few weeks back, nor did I know anything of the Seaton tool chest. So I joined this site so I can post pictures of the saw for others to compare.The blade measures 19'' long , 3'' at the toe and 3 3/4 '' inches towards the heel not the way back I measured down from where the brass and wood meet.It looks to me the split nuts have not been taken off since being originally installed.I would like hear what others think of this saw. Thank You David IMG_1943.JPG IMG_1944.JPG IMG_1945.JPG IMG_1956.JPG IMG_1947.JPG IMG_1965.JPG IMG_1960.JPG

Charlie Earnest likes this.
  2. David

David Most Valued Member

Hello David,
    I think it's a wonderful saw that you have there. The pointed cheek, of course, is just like those in the Seaton chest and is not a shape commonly found. Most of the Kenyons I've seen have a more rounded cheek, but which style is earlier or later is impossible for me to say. I think the delicate lambs tongue on your saw is truly fine to see and, at 19", yours is certainly one of the bigger Kenyons around. Also, like all the Kenyon brass backs of this era that I've seen with original handles and untouched screws, it has that small "birds mouth" cut at the end of the top chamfer. (The earliest brass Kenyons with the fully round boss/cheek don't seem to have that "birds mouth" cut. But I've only seen one of them, in a small photograph and can't be sure.)

And I'd wager, based on that handle shape, that your saw is in the neighborhood of 220 years old. And in beautiful shape. So, I like your saw a lot.

Congratulations on a fine purchase, and welcome to this site. I look forward to your showing us other great saws in the future.
    David

3. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Welcome aboard David
    Nothing like reaching the seats on your first at bat. Everything David says about liking that saw a lot...and that little "birds mouth" is so cool. Really enjoy that saw
    Joe S.

4. Piney56

Piney56 Member

Thank you guys for your responses, I was sure hoping someone would estimate my saw to be 18th century. I don't know alot about early saws. I do buy old planes and axes and split nut saws as my wife and I do own an old timber frame farmhouse. Thanks David

5. David

David Most Valued Member

Yes, I agree. I collect split nut saws and my wife and I live in an old timber framed house, which we disassembled and moved from NY State to the Delaware Valley. My name is David too. Are you my long lost twin?

6. Piney56

Piney56 Member

Hello David my wife and I grew up in the Delaware valley of pa near philly and now we live in western ny. I bought the saw near Allentown pa.

7. David

David Most Valued Member

Well, the coincidences just don't stop. I live just above New Hope/Lambertville on the Jersey side of the river. If you're not aware of it already, you might be interested in going to Martin Donnelly's 3 day summer auction in July in Avoca, at the western foot of the Finger Lakes. Lots of planes, axes and all the sort of stuff you'd like. Perhaps I'll see you there.
    David

8. Piney56

Piney56 Member

Thank you David I didnt know about that sale but I will certainly look into it. Hopefully we will meet in person.

9. Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong Active Member

Hi All
    If anyone is interested I noticed this saw is on eBay for sale.

Peter

10. Peter Armstrong

For those who didn’t see it the Kenyon saw went for US$886 and that is well out of my league.

Peter

11. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Peter,

I had a watch on this saw both of the times that it was up for sale. The first time at this price (886 USD) the saw did not meet its reserve and was relisted with $886US being its start price but with no reserve this time. Luckily for the eventual buyer, the price remained at 886 and the original high bidder got it.

I have never seen a Kenyon go for this much money and to be honest but putting it as politely as I can, I thought that a higher reserve than this was being a little optimistic. I would have been as pleased as punch with it, without wanting more.

Fred

upload_2018-5-18_21-2-21.jpeg

David likes this.
  12. Peter Armstrong

Hi Fred
    I didn’t see what happened at the end, when I went to bed it was was around $130 with 21 bids and in the morning I see it sold $886 with 24 bids so some big bids at the end.

I have no idea what a Kenyon might be worth but I did see a few weeks back a nice 16” tenon saw by Thompson Criffin Reilby & Co go for £185 and I did think the Kenyon might be worth at lest twice that. Seems there are some collectors out there with very deep pockets.

Last month I picked up a nice 16” I Hill Late Howel tenon saw here in Oz for A$150 and that is most I’ve spent on a saw and I’d like to keep it that way.

Peter

13. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

If I was looking for Keynon saws I would be scouring the Russian flea markets, Kenyon shipped countless thousands of saws to Russia before the revolution,

Is there a Russian equivalent to ebay?

14. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Ray,

I looked a long time ago and there is not an Ebay in Russia, with exactly that in mind to which you allude. Whether there is an equivalent or not I don't know.

Unfortunately Peter (for the buyer at least), when Ebay works properly as a market place and you open up the bidding to an awful lot of the world's population, you are bound to get a fair percentage of deep pockets. But it is still the best price for a Kenyon that I have seen.

Fred

PS I remember the Thompson Griffin and Beilby going for that much and I even think that I put a bid on it at around £80. I also remember having a moan to Simon that decent saws are getting prohibitively expensive nowadays for those of us with shallower pockets.