steel Handel fittings

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by kelsey, May 22, 2017.

1. kelsey

kelsey Member

First off new to picking up saws and was looking for information on 2 new saws I just got. Looking to see if I'm looking for the right things. Or are they just newer bottom end models. And stay with ones I recognize. Both have steel hardware one has 3 rivet Handel that I thought maybe home made with a really thick blade.

Attached Files:

Underthedirt likes this.
  2. David

David Most Valued Member

Hi Kelsey,
    And welcome to this place. As far as I'm concerned you've arrived with what may be at least one really early saw. The three rivet saw sure looks to be about 200 or so years old. Why don't you look to see if there is a name die stamped in the middle of the saw blade? Perhaps it could be a Kenyon or a Kenyon & Sykes. Google "Kenyon hand saw" and look at the images to see how they compare to yours. In any case, whoever the maker turns out to be, it has all the marks of being made around 1800 or so. I think that the rivets may be later replacements, but it's hard to tell from here in the 21st century.
    I think the other saw with the steel plate is probably mid or late 19th century. A lot of makers made saws that look like that. I know Disston made several models, but others did as well. The handle looks as though it might be apple, which wouldn't make it a bottom end model, in any case.
    It's always fun when someone shows up with such nice stuff. Glad you're here.
    Regards,
    David

3. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Kelsey,
    Welcome to the forum, that three rivet saw certainly looks interesting, it ticks quite a few of the boxes for being very early, the handle style, the rivets, the rounded nose. The heavier saw plate may be a clue to it's age as well, I'd agree with David, it's 1800 or maybe earlier.

Ray

4. Underthedirt

Underthedirt Most Valued Member

Hi Kelsey,

Welcome to the forum...:) that's a pretty good 1st post, the older saw certainly is early & it will be exciting to hear if you find a mark, even without a mark its a gorgeous & early saw & one to be proud of owning- imagine what jobs it's worked on in its 200 year old life? Thanks for sharing,

Regards

Mari

5. kelsey

kelsey Member

Hi every one
    Thanks for your input and information. I have not noticed any names on them. I need to try to clean them up some and maybe one will show.

6. kelsey

kelsey Member

I took some close up pictures maybe it will help . Looks like it has a lot of knots in the Handel wood.

Kelsey

Attached Files:

7. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Kelsey
    Welcome aboard. I think as David and everyone else is suggesting the saw without the plate is special. As per an earlier discussion on the merits of "cleaning" a little scraping to find a name might be a great way to start. It would never be considered a great user and starting slow seems advantageous. Exciting start.
    enjoy this "rabbit hole"
    Joe S.

8. kelsey

kelsey Member

So far with just using some gun cotton I have found a O clearly stamped. Clearly still a little to chicken to scrape it.
    Kelsey

9. kelsey

kelsey Member

Well went for it and got to what looks like ENYO with a 3 circle mark maybe an inch above.
    Kelsey

10. David

David Most Valued Member

Hi Kelsey,
    Well, you've got it there. It's a Kenyon. And the three circle mark is a part of a crown. They often come in threes on these saws so as you clean a bit further you may find two more. I find that careful scraping the long way on the blade (all cleaning should be done in the long direction) with a new razor blade works nicely. It's less prone to scratch than one that's been used before. I hate scratching the saw. Often I'll use a 3M scotchbrite pad once I've found the die stamp. If you're looking for an etch (which your other saw is more likely to have) you have to be much more careful to not erase it with your cleaning.
    Anyway, you've found a rare saw, so consider yourself lucky on your first time out.
    David