Drabble & Sanderson 22" panel saw date

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by greyhound, Mar 23, 2017.

1. greyhound

greyhound Most Valued Member

Gooday to you all,
    I am new to this forum and have a saw age identification question.
    I bought and restored a D&S 22" panel saw which has beech handle with 2 medium size brass bolts with split nuts and D&S medallion in the middle. The pitch is (probably not relevant) 11 points, plate is very thin with wee nib and has an etch reading: "Drabble & Sanderson | D | Sheffield | Warranted Cast Steel" . I have another, similar saw (due restoration) with the etch reading: "Drabble & Sanderson | E | Sheffield | Warranted Cast Steel | Patent Ground" and it's made from a slightly thicker steel with 5 points pitch.
    I suppose these saws date to early 1900s. However, I am not sure and would like your advice dating these D&Ss.

Attached Files:

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

In the absence of a catalogue with this saw in, dating is again, not easy.

As a complete guess I would not argue with your dates, but perhaps put them a bit further back to the last 25 years of the 19th century.

Is there any chance of a close-up of the stamp? That may help.

Fred

3. greyhound

Fred,
    Thank you for the reply. Here are the photos of stamps from both saws D (in question) and E (being cleaned up).
    As you can see the D-stamp isa bit fainted after polishing. I found a recipe for Enhancing the Handsaw Etch by Bob Sturgeon. I might do that
    What would you suggest I should do with the E-stamped saw - polish the plate to same extend as the D or go easy?
    Ta

Attached Files:

4. Dusty Shed Dweller

Dusty Shed Dweller Most Valued Member

Stamp D looks like it is almost polished out and stamp E will go the same way with much more work. The pitting is deeper than the etch so the plate won't clean to a higher degree without obliterating the etch. Neither etch looks deep enough to respond well to enhancement using gun blue or nitric acid, which also leaves a faint halo mark on the surrounding clean steel which looks awful. I wouldn't do any more work on these; both etches are clearly legible and further work will irreparably damage them.

5. greyhound

That's what I thought, thanks
    I will polish the plate (no more sanding) and reassemble the "E" saw. The "D" saw is was finished many moons ago and is one of the best I've ever had/used.