Phillips & Christopherson, London

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Rustyoldion, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Rustyoldion

Rustyoldion Active Member

Another new mark for Simon perhaps? When I first saw the name on this 10" brass backed dovetail saw I thought it was probably a "ghost" maker devised by one of the Sheffield firms for a second quality saw. After a lot of delving Google came across the following entry in the London Gazette of January 1827.

"NOTICE is hereby given, that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned, William Phillips, Henry Phillips, and William Christopherson, as Iron mongers, in Budge-Row, in the City of London, under the firm of Phillips, Son, and Christopherson, was on the 30th day of December last dissolved by mutual consent, so far as respects the said William Philips : As witness our hands the lst day of January 1827.

William Phillips. Henry Phillips. Wm. Christopherson."

It seems that the firm continued trading with Henry Phillips and William Christopherson but I could not find any trace in the 1841 London Directory so presumably they had ceased by then. No doubt the saw was factored in rather than made by this iron monger business but it appears to date circa 1827-40 assuming the firm was not previously trading before the "Son" joined the partnership.

Rustyoldion P1140736.JPG P1140739.JPG P1140741.JPG P1140742.JPG P1140743.JPG P1140744.JPG

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

HI,

I was wondering who had bought it as I had a mind to go for it myself, but I saw it only at the original price and didn't see it re-listed at the reduced price :( Never mind.

It is nice to see the saw cleaned up and looking so much better than the seller's photo. It is a credit to any collection.

Fred

Ah, the light dawns. It was buy it now or best offer.

3. Rustyoldion

Yes, I didn't expect him to accept my offer but he did.:) It is nice, but there is a small semi circular break in the plate just in front of the handle.

Rustyoldion

4. Underthedirt

Underthedirt Most Valued Member

That's a nice early little saw with an unusual name.
    I also had this one on my watch list as its a nice looking saw, I'm glad it's gone to a good home...:)
    Thanks for sharing Rusty.

Regards

Mari

5. Rustyoldion

Thanks Mari,

Glad that other people can enjoy these tools as much as I do.

Rustyoldion