C & S Peace & co

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Force, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Force

Force Active Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Have had this saw for some years now and I'm finally getting around to posting it on here for your opinions and ideas.
    Not sure where it fits in date wise as Simon has them listed 1833-1837, then 1837 onwards became the eagle works then by 1845 ibbotson came onboard. The saw has no stamp referring to eagle works on the blade or medalion. So I'm assuming it's possibly from that early date??
    What do you guys think?

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi,

First of all it is a beauty of a saw and it has a medallion that neither Simon nor Bob Summerfi has an image of.

It is also probably within the mainstream dates of BSSM that you have. Possibly, looking at the handle, at the latter end of the period, but that is just a guess.

One thing that I did notice when I enlarged an image of the stamped mark, is that it has a slightly reclining ampersand before the "Co". If it is purposefully reclining I am not sure that it means anything as far as an earlier date goes.

upload_2016-11-1_18-4-53.png

Fred

3. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

This is certainly a very fine saw. The medallion style is very early, and I think it is very possible that it dates from around the 1830-1840 period – there aren't many examples of medallions of that date (the earliest I know is about 1825), but it's reminiscent of one by Yeomans, Standfield & Newbould of c1840 (in BSSM on p667).
    Would it be possible for Force to send a large version of the medallion to my personal email? (barleys@mac.com) I'd be keen to put it into the updated version of BSSM. Thanks a lot. Simon

4. Force

Force Active Member

Fred and Simon,
    Thanks for your replies, certainly one of my favourites in my collection and the age is particularly appealing.
    I thought Fred might pick up on the slightly reclining ampersand! I must admit I hadn't noticed it but your enhancement and highlighting in your post bought it to my attention.
    Thanks guys.....Chris.
    Ps Will forward a photo to Simon of medalion when I get a chance.

5. Barleys

thanks, Chris – whenever… Simon

6. Barleys

Fine image arrived of this remarkable medallion – thanks a lot, Chris.
    Simon

7. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member