Barber & Genn

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by David, Oct 23, 2016.

1. David

David Most Valued Member

Hello folks,
    This is the biggest backsaw I've ever caught. It's a Barber & Genn, well pitted on the face side which is some kind of testament to it's years and treatment. At 21" long I figured I had to show it, so that we can all know that they do come this big. It seems to have a slightly canted ampersand which I think is a little unusual for B & G saws. BSSM shows one B & G incuse mark with a similar ampersand, which is dated as 1790. Could this saw perhaps be that early?
    David

B & G backsaw full.jpg B & G stamp.jpg B & G handle front.jpg B & G handle rear.jpg

Underthedirt likes this.
  2. Underthedirt

Underthedirt Most Valued Member

That is a gorgeous old saw, what a whopper! Considering how old it is its in remarkably good condition, look at that depth of plate? With that sharper "point" & smaller chamfers to the boss it looks pretty early.
    What a great find, personally, I love B&G saws.
    I think it's sweet how Mr TS stamped his S the wrong way around.
    Cool saw, thanks for sharing...:)

Regards

Mari

3. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Both,

This is the most elaborate ampersand that I have seen, esp. re the high kicking top leg and the angled bottom leg on the right hand side. It is an absolute beauty and, I agree, reclining.

I also agree that it is similar to the 1790 one, but if the 1800 one was a bit more detailed, then there may be similarities there as well. Definitely turn of the century. Which side of the turn I would not like to hazard a guess, but I can hope that it is the 1790 side of it.

Fred

4. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey David
    Great saw. Was there a cast steel or german steel beside the Barber&Genn? That might be a little unusual if not and may put the date a little earlier. I also wonder which handle attachment was the first? The iron or the brass. There is no oxidation around the brass rivet and to think they thought there only needed to be two.
    enjoy
    Joe S.

5. David

David Most Valued Member

Hi folks,
    Thanks for the comments & questions. This heavy old saw only has the Barber & Genn stamp...no indication of grade of steel. The blade really thunks when struck, a flat sort of sound. And I agree that I can't be too confident about the age of the ampersand on the slim evidence of the one mark shown in BSSM. Also, I discovered, in looking at two other very early B & G backsaws found on the internet, that they have handles that seem distinctively older than the one on this saw. I think this handle shape could be anywhere between 1790 (if I squint hopefully) and 1820 or so. So I just don't know.

It seems to me that the iron rivet is the later addition. The split nut just seems to fit it's hole better.

And Mr. TS sure bought the wrong "S" stamp. I guess it's a lot easier to mess up when making an "S" backwards than an "M" or a "W". Still, caveat emptor.
    David