T Fox backsaw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Brophy, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Brophy

Brophy Member

Hey Guys....I'm back. It has been a while but I've rekindled my saw love.

Found this saw a couple weeks ago at a yard sale. The London pattern handle caught my eye and the maker didn't ring a bell....what say the experts?

It's obviously in 'as-found' condition...

[​IMG]

Hard to see but there are two crowns...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...Rob

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Rob,

BSSM says that there are three saw makers by the name of Fox.

Edward in Plymouth from 1889 to 1930, Joshua in London from 1832 to 1841 and Samuel in Sheffield with a date of 1833 only. None of which, you will notice have the initial "T" and which therefore creates problems.

I am assuming that the mark at the base of the forward serif in the "T" of "CAST" is part of the serif and not a dot. If it is a dot then that really complicates things.

The Warranted Superior medallion should put the saw later than the early 1860's. It has long been a thought of mine that if there is no place of manufacture on the saw, then it is likely to be a brand of someone else, unless it is a very early saw. But this is merely a thought and cannot be taken as gospel.

The crowns are very nice touches and are nice decoration but their dating value is limited.

This, I am afraid, does not get us very far, but if it it is a brand and no-one is familiar with it, then we may not get much further.

Fred

3. Brophy

Brophy Member

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I should have mentioned that I looked in BSSM and Schaffer's book but found nothing.

At the very least it is a data point on the ever expanding list of saw makers/sellers.

Rob

4. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

5. Brophy

Brophy Member

Looks like a match Kiwi! Many thanks.

I thought I did a search on this site....don't know how I missed it.

6. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Rob, Welcome back to the saw world. The search provided with Xenforo doesn't like short words like "FOX", and google's site search didn't pick it up either. I'm currently rebuilding the site, and thinking of sorting all the various pictures posted into some sort of searchable database. But don't hold your breath waiting, these things take time.

Fox hunting is becoming popular again. :)

Ray

PS. I wouldn't be surprised to find that someone else factored the saw for Fox Brothers, and branded it T ( as in Thomas) Fox. My money is on Taylor Brothers. Sometime later than 1870- could be much later.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  7. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

To me the lettering on the medallion is reminiscent of others that have been exported to N America, so the chance that this is a brand becomes somewhat higher. Doesn't get us much further towards the true makers, but I couldn't deny Ray's surmise that Taylors were they.