W H Armitage, I &H Sorby and Spear and Jackson

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Joe S, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Ray et al.
    Nothing spectacular with these three saws but keepers all the same. A few weeks ago I was at a tool show and these three saws presented themselves. I was with with Rob (AKA Kiwi) at the time when I found these. There was so much rust on the blades we couldn't see any of the stamps but the bones were present. Judicious removal of some of the rust and presto, nice looking relatively early saws. I am particularly pleased with the blind medallion W H Armitage which is a new maker for me.
    enjoy
    Joe S.

Attached Files:

Underthedirt likes this.
  2. Underthedirt

Underthedirt Most Valued Member

Hi Joe,

Thanks for sharing, 3 X very nice saws there, I like them all too, but I love that steep return on the top of the S&J handle & the blind medallion Armitage handle.
    They all look like the higher end models of their day with the better quality handles, a nice group indeed & it's so satisfying seeing the beauty come out of the rust...:)

Regards

Mari

3. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Joe – I hope you won't mind that I've appropriated the maker's mark on the Armitage [which incidentally I'd date at around 1870 – does that accord with the saw in your hand?] and tweaked it, as I'm interested to see how in striking the words Cast steel the punch must have slipped, resulting in the two impressions of Cast, and the virtual absence of Steel – a thick ear for the cack-handed apprentice??. New mark for BSSM update – thanks in advance Simon DSCN6060 e 18.36.47.jpg

4. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Never a problem Simon. You can see a very vague "Steel" to the right of the overstamp. Probably worth a double flick to that ear.
    Joe S.

5. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Thanks once again, Joe.
    Simon