S&J Sovereign 62 saw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Frank English, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Frank English

Frank English Active Member

Trying to determine era this saw was made. Has a legible etch but different medallion construction, brass nut, brass trim but copper looking material for shaft and insert. WK Fine Tools has a 1923 S&J Saw and Tool catalogue that shows on p8 The "Sovereign" [John Cockerill] No 179 Skew Back. Doubt this saw is that vintage. Overall length 26", plate 1.5" toe and 5.5" at heel left. Looks like PO tried to re-tooth but left last 5" at heel end with no teeth. Stamp at heel shows either 3 or 8 ppi.
    Just interested in age. Here are a few pictures.
    Thanks
    Frank

Attached Files:

2. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Hi Frank
    Your medallion style seems very similar to the one S&J usually used with a green plate surround (see saw medallion guide) and along with the handle style I'd guess it dates to around 1960s
    There's a saw with a similar "sovereign" etch (but with WS medallion with green surround) listed at http://www.usedottawa.com/ReportSelectUsedAdPhoto2?used_ad_id=22764501&position=1&hb=1

I haven't noticed other copper coloured S&J screws, and wonder if yours is the result of the chemistry of this particular batch of brass, with excess copper content (brass = alloy of copper + zinc)

3. Dusty Shed Dweller

Dusty Shed Dweller Most Valued Member

In BSSM a similar label nut is shown (page 85) but the source/maker is unattributed...they appear to be a copper insert swaged into a brass body and bolt. I see a fair few of these, guessing from the 1960's era or thereabouts. They are very common on saws from Slack Sellars, but I have also seen WS versions. Saws by S&J, R.H. Atkinson & Son and Thomas Flinn & Co. may appear adorned with nuts of this type.

4. Frank English

Frank English Active Member

Kiwi and Dusty Shed Dweller.

Thanks for your responses. Thought maybe the copper insert might indicate WW11 years with maybe brass being reserved for more important items. Figure 4.40 p85 BSSM shows c1950 and it certainly looks like copper but no mention of copper appearing in the BSSM medallion section. No imprint or paper scraps left around this medallion that would indicate there was some type of surround at some point. Fig. 4.38 BSSM p 84 shows what appears to have been something around that Drabble & Sanderson c1920 medallion. To this point we have never found any other saw medallions with the copper in them although as Kiwi says might have been a chemical reaction. A decent 50 year old saw is still a good Thrift Store find compared to the usual rusty modern offerings.

Thanks again.