Saw Medallions

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by summerfi, Feb 26, 2014.

1. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

In the 1845-1889 period of WHArmitage's saw making, the number of US states rose from 26 to 42 (as a foreigner living in North America, all my US history information comes from Mr Google), so I don't think the number of stars on the medallion are a time diagnostic for the saw. It looks to me that the medallion was a marketing device, along with not stamping "Sheffield" on the back, in an attempt to make the saw appear American and appeal to the American market. I suggested that this might have been done around the time of the 1876 World Fair, because that would take advantage of the heightened national pride at that time from the US demonstrating its emerging status and progress at the forefront of industrial innovation (but that's just a WAG)

2. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

That sounds eminently reasonable, Kiwi: let's keep WAG-ing.

3. Frank English

Frank English Active Member

Bob

Here is another Warranted Superior medallion, probably Canadian and from looks of handle 1960's or 70's. Looks more like a stick figure replication.

Frank

Attached Files:

4. Frank English

Bob
    Here is another S&J medallion from a Sovereign 62 saw. The medallion nut is brass, the post looks like it is copper, brass ring around the copper medallion description.

Frank

Attached Files:

5. Frank English

Bob
    Another type of Warranted Medallion, believe American, slightly different from what you have. No etch on plate but have included a picture of the handle.
    Frank

Attached Files:

6. Dusty Shed Dweller

Dusty Shed Dweller Most Valued Member

I reckon that's a Simond's No. 43 model if that helps attribute that particular form of W/S medallion. It is not of Disston manufacture.

7. Frank English

Thanks for that information. Been trying to find a comparative handle with no luck. Nice little saw, 19 1/2" toe to heel, filed crosscut with a 10 stencilled into the plate at the heel. Any idea of age range?

8. Dusty Shed Dweller

Dusty Shed Dweller Most Valued Member

Somewhere around 1920.

9. Frank English

Thank you very much. Has cleaned up into a nice little user. Filed the teeth for rip and it works well. Easier ripping thin softwood than my 4 ppi S&J.

10. David

David Most Valued Member

Hello Bob,
    I just noticed this one on ebay and thought I'd see if you could use it (if perhaps you don't already have it). It's from a full sized Peugeot Freres handsaw.

Attached Files:

11. David

David Most Valued Member

Hello Bob,
    Still another from ebay, that I haven't seen before, and I hope that you haven't as well. W.B. Belknap & Co...The Home Stretch.

Attached Files:

12. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello Bob,

If we are sticking with the Ebay theme, here is another one.

There is no makers name given with the saw unfortunately.

I would buy it as it is rather cheap at the moment, but the postage to the UK is 57USD:mad:

Fred

Attached Files:

13. summerfi

summerfi Most Valued Member

Thanks David and Fred. I'll post those additions.

14. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Underthedirt likes this.
  15. summerfi

Thanks Kiwi. It may take a while, but I'll get all the new ones incorporated into the medallion guide.

16. fred0325

Hi Bob,

I cannot see this one on your list. Apologies if I have missed it and it is a duplicate

Fred

Attached Files:

17. summerfi

Thanks Fred. I'll get it posted.

18. fred0325

Hi Bob,

I cannot see this one in your database. It is a Slack Sellars from a saw that was made, if not yesterday, then the day before that. I always thought that Guinea medallions were the province of Taylor Brothers, but it appears not.

It looks to me like a cheap stamp into a brass disk, but a medallion nevertheless.

Fred

Attached Files:

19. summerfi

Thanks Fred. I'm away from home for a couple of weeks, but I'll get this one recorded when I return.
    Bob

20. summerfi

Hello friends,
    The online Saw Medallion Reference Guide was formerly hosted by the Lumberjocks woodworking forum site. They changed to a new system recently, and it wouldn't accommodate the number of images in the Guide. So, the guide was lost for a while. Fortunately I was able to resurrect it, and I've now put it into a book format that I'm hosting on my Google Drive. It should be secure there for as long as I'm alive at least. The nice part is anyone can download it and either print it off or keep the file on your computer. The more people who have it, the more secure it is. We are up to around 340 medallions and escutcheons (or register plates) now. As more come in, I can revise the book with the additions. Thanks so much to all who have contributed medallions to the book over these past years. It has become a great resource. Here is the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w3MYgIIh5LdhN1C3erElnqCOYRUXc7sR/view?usp=share_link cover.jpg

shoarthing likes this.