Thomas Ibbotson & Co.

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by summerfi, Apr 27, 2016.

1. summerfi

summerfi Most Valued Member

Hi all,
    I cleaned this saw up a little and sharpened it to make it usable again. It is an unremarkable saw in many ways. The most interesting thing about it is someone inscribed the date 1845 on the handle. According to BSSM, Thos. Ibbotson & Co. began in 1833. I wonder how old the saw was when someone put the date on it.

Bob
    IMG_2378.jpg IMG_2384.jpg IMG_2382.jpg IMG_2381.jpg

Underthedirt likes this.
  2. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Bob
    I'm thinking that the date of 1845 pretty well matches when the saw was made or newly sold. Going to be later than the 1830's since there isn't a dot in the cast steel but the handle is relatively early. A square nose as opposed to a rounded nose makes it a little later. A later high end handle would probably have had a medallion fastener or a larger blank. All those extra notches would have cost more so it probably wasn't a cheap saw. Ibbotson knew there steel and still some of my favourite chisels are Ibbotsons. ( I think I have a lot of other favourites too but that certainly doesn't make them any less of a good make). I may be all wet but see what others have to say.
    enjoy this saw
    Joe S.

3. summerfi

Thanks Joe. That matches my thoughts pretty closely. It's fun to have a 170+ year old saw that is still usable. After sharpening it cuts as well as it did when new.
    Bob

4. Underthedirt

Underthedirt Most Valued Member

That's a gorgeous saw Bob! And to have the date from a previous owner makes it extra special...:)
    Just curious, how long is the plate?

Regards

Mari

5. summerfi

Thanks Mari. It is a 24" plate.
    Bob