Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Scott M., Feb 23, 2016.

1. Scott M.

Scott M. Active Member

Hi all,

My name is Scott and I'm a new member. I have been collecting and restoring hand saws for about two years now. In that time I've found some really cool and curious things but don't have anyone to talk saws with that shares my passion. One of my biggest problems is that I am also new at trying to navigate the internet. I'm not even sure if what I'm typing now is going to reach anyone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Scott

2. summerfi

summerfi Most Valued Member

Hi Scott. Welcome. You're doing fine. Now lets see some of those saws!
    Bob

3. Underthedirt

Underthedirt Most Valued Member

Welcome Scott, you've come to the right place, we share your passion for saws! I can't wait to see some of your finds....:)

Regards

Mari

4. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Scott. Welcome aboard. Always got room on this train.

Joe S.

5. Scott M.

Scott M. Active Member

Thanks guys!

Wasn't sure if my thread was going to reach anyone (if that's what you call it)! I was in the basement fixing up an old style #7 handle (no lambs tongue) that goes with a one son plate. I came upstairs and turned my tablet on not expecting to find anything but boy was I surprised! Thanks to Bob, Mari, and Joe S. for replying.
    I hate to be so helpless but I'm going to have to figure out how to attach pictures with a message.
    My collection has grown to about 300. I will save any saw for its uniqueness or historical value even if its in hammered unusable condition. However I do have quite a few beauties.
    Got a couple cool finds last week if anyone is interested in seeing. 1st a Geo. Bishop #22 with a n awesome secondary etch. Its an eagle perched on a rock flanked by two flags and above the eagle it says "U.S. Navy Standard". 2nd. a J.H. Bringhurst with the nib still intact. It had a terrible covered bridge scene painted on it and a beat up #7 tote but the plate cleaned up great. Luckily 3 of the 4 bolt holes survived but where in the world would you get a pattern for a Bringhurst tote?

6. David

David Most Valued Member

Hi Scott,
    Good to have you here to add to the mix. That Bringhurst is a very uncommon saw, but are you sure the #7 tote wasn't original to it? The one or two of them I've seen had totes that might be thought to resemble a Disston. I think that there are so few of them around that you'll have to do some hard searching to confirm anything. And I've never seen a Navy Standard saw, so do sort out your picture posting. I use a Mac so when I hit upload a file, my files open and I select the one I want. I hope it's that easy for you.
    David

7. Scott M.

Scott M. Active Member

Hi David,

Well here goes. I'm going to try and post pics of both of those saws. The Bringhurst definitely had a turn of the century #7 tote with aluminum H.K. Porter hardware.

8. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

9. Scott M.

Scott M. Active Member

Thanks Ray,
    I'll try again. I appreciate everyone's pacience with me. My wife and I couldn't figure it out. We don't have a computer just her smart phone and my tablet.

I've been trying to send pics for about 20 minutes now but when I hit upload a file and then choose a picture from my gallery it comes up uploaded file too large for server?

10. admin

Hi Scott, You might have to resize your pictures, I changed the maximum size allowed from 2048 kb to 4096 kb anyway.
    Ray

11. Scott M.

Scott M. Active Member

Hi Ray,
    Here we go again! I'm using my tablet this time. Last night I was using my wife's phone because it takes much better pictures.

Geo. Bishop # 22? "U.S. Navy Standard"

IMG_20160227_142740.jpg IMG_20160227_142755.jpg IMG_20160227_142805.jpg IMG_20160227_140325.jpg

Underthedirt likes this.
  12. Scott M.

Scott M. Active Member

Here is the J.H. Bringhurst with the handle that was on it. I wish I would have taken pictures of it when it was all painted up with the covered bridge!

IMG_20160227_143219.jpg IMG_20160227_140916.jpg IMG_20160227_140702.jpg
    I hope I did this right!

Underthedirt likes this.
  13. admin

Hi Scott, Looks like you got the pictures sorted nicely, I've not see either of those before.

Erv Schaffer's book has J.H.Bringhurst as a Philadelphia Saw Maker 1842-1865. He was later bought out by Henry Disston.
    Is that handle original to the saw?

Ray

14. Scott M.

Scott M. Active Member

Good morning all,

5 A.M. here. We are getting ready to make a 4 hour road trip to Virginia today. To do what else..... Look for more saws! Only guys like you out there would understand what most would call insane. That is making an 8 hour round trip to an antique mall in the hopes of coming home with a few $5 rusty saws! If I find anything cool ill post it.

Ray, as David posted on reply #6 I dug the old handle out that was on the blade and lined it up to my other Disston #7's and it sure looks the same to me. I believe this blade has seen more than one handle replacement in its long life because it looks like Swiss cheese. Luckily 3 of the 4 original holes are intact. I've only seen one Bringhurst with a handle on it with all my internet searching. That was on vintage American Saws and Their Makers.

Should I start another thread for other saw identification and questions? I have a million of them. I'm starting to feel a little more comfortable navigating the site now that I was able to post some pics. Thanks for everyone's help. I'm loving it!
    Scott