Scusa mi... anybody seen these marks before?

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Dusty Shed Dweller, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Dusty Shed Dweller

Dusty Shed Dweller Most Valued Member

I was recently perusing a major electronic auction site (I was just looking at the pictures, I swear) and I noticed that there a few saws, typically in outstanding condition, cropping up with what I take to be government marks... these tend to be on basic working hand saws by Atkins and Bishop (e.g. #51, 53 and B8 models) but I am sure there are others around.

Now I happen to possess one of these and a search on a military acronyms site suggests that the inscription S.C.U.S.A could stand for Signal Corps US Army. Does anybody else have an idea what these letters stand for?

The superb No. 8 Bishop rip shown below has S.C.U.S.A. as part of the primary etch, plus a stamp on the handle (an A with a vertical stroke through it). Could the stamp refer to a military stock number? An alternative is "standards commission USA" but I doubt that possibility. Do any old army carpenters frequent this site? upload_2015-11-29_15-23-49.png upload_2015-11-29_15-23-49.png upload_2015-11-29_15-24-44.png

upload_2015-11-29_15-23-49.png upload_2015-11-29_15-24-44.png

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Dusty,

I have not the faintest idea personally but I put it through an acronym finder (as you did, but a general not a military one) and it looks like Your Signal Corps United States Army is a runner

[​IMG]
    SCUSASelf Contained Underwater Shipping Apparatus (fictional)[​IMG]
    SCUSASoccer City USA (nickname; Portland, OR)[​IMG]
    SCUSAStandards Council of the United States of America[​IMG]
    SCUSASignal Corps United States Army[​IMG]
    SCUSAStudent Council on United States Affairs

I cannot find anything resembling the mark on the handle.

There is a 1285th Military Police Company but that is a stab in the dark.

There is also this

RAF Horham - USAAF Station 119 :: Geograph Britain and ...
    www.geograph.org.uk/article/RAF-Horham---USAAF-Station-119
    Additional regular Army units based at the aerodrome were: ... 1285th Military Police Company 1676th Ordnance Supply & Maintenance Company ..... Long since disused, a small wooded area in the middle of the field still marks its location. ---

Fred

Edit. Apologies re the Ornance and Supply, it was on the same base but nothing to do with the 1285th Military police, although what they had to do with handsaws I could not guess. Probaby nothing at all and this is a red herring.l

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  3. summerfi

summerfi Most Valued Member

Hi Dusty and Fred,
    The attached picture was copied off the Martin J. Donnelly website. It appears that Signal Corps U.S Army is the correct interpretation.

Bob
    scusa.jpg