Tillotson handsaw, crisp mark

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Jun 14, 2015.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

I bought this saw mainly for the crispness of the mark on it and because I have wanted a Tillotson for a long time, but the ones that I have seen have been mainly backsaws which have gone for prices that I did not want to pay.

BSSM does have an identical mark on p. 589 and dated circa 1870 but mine is possibly a little better overall in that there is no corrosion obscuring the main mark. Also the eagle on the medallion is slightly different with an 1869 patent mark . The "Extra Quality" is a little further away to the rear of the main mark.

The question that still haunts me about the handle and medallion on this and other like export saws is:- "Where was it put on. Britain or America" ?

I am not averse to it being either country, but what I cannot understand is that if this pattern handle was made in Britain, why did it not catch on here as a handle, particularly for cheaper/mid range saws as it must be a cheaper handle to make without the lambs tongue.

Any ideas?

Fred

Attached Files:

2. wiktor48

wiktor48 Most Valued Member

Fred, looks like no one had any comments here, so I will give you my understanding of this saw. First, Tillotson was out of business by 1859-60. I think the handle and the medallion on this saw looks like American and is a replacement to the older blade. As confirmed by Simon, Tillotson’s dating in BSSM is not accurate, so I wouldn’t go by these dates.
    BTW, I am working for a while already on Tillotson section for the website and I wonder if I can use your pictures to illustrate this issue – American handle and medallion. Let me know please. Of course I would give you credit for pictures.

3. Dusty Shed Dweller

Dusty Shed Dweller Most Valued Member

Wiktor, I can't produce a beautiful saw for this thread but I do have a little special something that you may be interested in - I don't know much about this but I know that it superlative quality and older than most of the other stuff you see.

Attached Files:

wiktor48 likes this.
  4. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Thanks for the information Wiktor,

Particularly about the dating discrepancy in BSSM.

Anything that I put on here can be used in circumstances such as you , Simon and hopefully others intend to use it.

An attribution would be nice, but is not necessary.

I normally supply Simon with much larger file images than I post on this site. If you want a decent sized image, message me with a contact email ad I will send some.

Fred

5. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Dusty,

I'm having trouble with your pdf's, I'd be interested if anyone else is having similar trouble? Is it possible for you to repost those images as jpeg, or png format.

To be specific, I'm getting security alerts from the network monitoring system as follows. It seems there is a security exploit hidden inside those files.

FILE-PDF Adobe Acrobat Reader incomplete JP2K image geometry exploit attempt - 11/23/15-02:29:08

Regards
    Ray

6. Dusty Shed Dweller

Dusty Shed Dweller Most Valued Member

No dramas Ray, I need a bit of guidance with these computer thingies.

T. Tillotson & Co. Patent Crystallized Cast Steel.

Attached Files:

7. wiktor48

wiktor48 Most Valued Member

Dusty, Thanks for the pictures. I answered to you in your "conversation", but it looks like you are not checking it. Please contact me via email at wkuc48@gmail.com.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015