Marsden brand

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Dusty Shed Dweller, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Dusty Shed Dweller

Dusty Shed Dweller Most Valued Member

Does anybody know anything about the Australian-made Marsden (?Lysaught Works) handsaw brand? I believe they had a trademark akin to the Wilkinson razor brand's "crossed swords" trademark, although the hilts were inverted in the Marsden branding.

2. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Dusty,
    Marsden Products were a Division of Lysaght (Steel) Works Ltd.

I don't know much of their history, but I do know that they made machetes during WW2, and possibly all manner of products during the war years, and maybe for a time after the war.

Hiroller posted these adverts on the woodworkforums.

Marsden5.jpg

I've never see an Australian made Marsden, do you have a picture?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  3. Dusty Shed Dweller

I greatly appreciate your research Ray, when I can take a decent shot I will post it but the etch is pretty worn. The inverted crossed swords, "guaranteed taper ground" and MH6 are all that is visible. From the adverts you posted it appears that they were "made" in the 1950's in Newcastle (NSW), not the UK (BSSM does not mention a mid 20th century Marsden). I loosely say "made" as this could also mean assembled in Australian like the Disstons that T.M. Porter "made" in the 1950's.

The plate is good and hard but the handle is typical Australian stuff from the 50's... skinny, pretty nondescript, shapeless meranti as far as I can tell. They are a tolerable saw compared to today's rubbish but not in the mould of anything from Disston or Atkin's.

4. Underthedirt

Underthedirt Most Valued Member

Hi Dusty, I was visiting an acquaintance the other day & he had no fewer than 5 x Marsden backsaws in his shed, so I took a couple of photos for your thread, this was a 14" xcut & has a full crossed swords etch & spine stamping, the handle looks to be made out of the same timber as your find- Meranti perhaps?

Mari

Attached Files:

wiktor48 likes this.
  5. Dusty Shed Dweller

Thanks Mari, amazing what treasure are hidden in sheds about the place.