Saw Medallions

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by summerfi, Feb 26, 2014.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Bob,

I almost certainly accept that if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it is a duck.

But to set my mind completely at rest could you tell me if Shurly and Dietrich made ducks with chamfered backs?

Or might this one have a bit of swan in it.

Fred

2. summerfi

summerfi Most Valued Member

Hi Fred,
    Looking closely at all the pictures in the first link on my previous post, I believe that saw does show a chamfered back, in spite of it being a later saw than the one you inquired about. The second link, not so much. I could try contacting the owner of the first saw to confirm. The saw you posted is an early S&D as evidenced by the early medallion. It was common for North American saw makers such as Disston, Richardson, Flint, Bakewell and others to use chamfered backs on their early saws, so it would not be surprising to find one on an early S&D.
    Bob

3. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Fred
    I think Bob nailed it when he said it was a Shurly Dietrich saw. It took me a bit to find another but we have exactly the same saw except the medallion doesn't have the pat. dates. This saw has the etch to prove it's manufacture. When I first saw your saw it reminded me of the J Flint closed handles saws without all the "frou frou". They also had typically a wide growth ring look most saw handle makers didn't have.
    It makes sense now.
    Shurly Dietrich 2014-12-29.JPG Shurly Dietrich 2014-12-29_1.JPG Shurly dietrich 2014-12-29_6.JPG
    Joe S.

4. fred0325

Thank-you both,

A duck it is.

Fred

5. summerfi

6. Frank English

Frank English Active Member

Bob, here is another J Flint Superior medallion showing an 1867 patent date and latin phrase below the coat of arms. The 4 p.p.i. ripsaw, 27 1/2" plate length, c/w nib has Spear & Jackson, Sheffield, cast steel, pressed into the saw plate. Question becomes is it for real.
    Frank

Attached Files:

7. summerfi

Thanks Frank. I posted on your other thread that I believe the medallion on your S&J saw has been replaced with a Flint medallion. Joseph Flint made saws in Rochester, NY and St. Catherines, Ontario. The medallions on saws made in NY display an eagle and the words J. Flint Superior. The medallions like yours were, I believe, used on the saws produced in ON. They display an image similar to the British coat of arms with a lion and unicorn, along with the same words J.Flint Superior.

8. fred0325

Hi Bob,

I don not know, but suspect that you snaffled the Kaye Bond Street Hull medallion off of Ebay. (I didn't see it on here when I first looked, but I have missed a few so that doesn't mean much). Apologies if you didn't, but I bought the saw and if you want a (hopefully) clearer image of it, then here is one (two) for you.

Attached Files:

9. summerfi

Thanks Fred. Much appreciated!

10. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

I haven't seen this before ... on a cheap kinda hardware store saw (ebay pic)
    "Phenix Warranted"
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. summerfi

Phoenix Warranted was, of course, one of the brand names used by E.C. Atkins of Indianappolis, IN. I've not seen a Phenix Warranted (sans the "O") before, but a google search identifies a few other examples. The two medallions appear identical except for the missing O. I wonder if there was a mistake in making a batch of medallions, or if there was some other motive behind the variation.

Bob

12. wilji3035

wilji3035 Member

Hi Bob,

I have run into discussions on the "Phenix" spelling on occasion while researching other saws that I've come across. Unfortunately, I haven't yet seen a discussion where someone had a better answer than your thought about a batch of medallions that were made with a mistake. I wonder if they were an initial production that was subsequently corrected? I would love to learn the real history on that one.

While I'm writing, I just wanted to say Thanks! for compiling the saw medallion list (and the same to everyone who was able to contribute to it). I think you noted somewhere that they are, themselves, small works of art. I completely agree; they are somehow very fascinating to view as a collection, beyond the intriguing historical insight they offer.

Regards,
    Bill

13. summerfi

Thanks Bill. It's been my pleasure to compile the medallion list, and I'm glad it is useful. Thanks to all who have contributed.

Bob

pmcgee likes this.
  14. David

David Most Valued Member

Hi Bob,
    Here's another WS for the list. It was seen on a Grove & Shoemaker (Philadelphia hardware dealers) saw. From the looks of it, I think it might have been made for them by William McNiece, another Philadelphian. It has the same sort of star as on some of his saws, and it is marked Excelsior just as some of his saws are. In looking over your American WS medallions I also noticed that the last one shown is also reminiscent of McNiece's.
    Regards,
    David

Attached Files:

15. summerfi

Thanks David. That's a nice addition.

Bob

16. David Schultz

David Schultz Member

Bob,
    I have a couple you may not have. This one's a WS with the patent date 20 years prior to the Glover date (DEC 31, 1867):

[​IMG]

Also, this one was taken from an old Disston. Notice the Glover patent date day (27) and year (1887) are reversed (mirror image). This anomaly is mentioned on the Disstonian site:

[​IMG]

Feel free to use either/both photos if you wish.

Regards,
    Dave

pmcgee likes this.
  17. summerfi

Thanks Dave. I've added the WS medallion to the collection. I've not attempted to catalog Disston medallions because I felt that would be a duplication of the good work on the Disstonian Institute site. Thanks for posting these.
    Bob

18. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

A bit nicer version of the SD left-facing beaver ...

Attached Files:

19. fred0325

Hi Bob,

Here is a nice F Brittain medallion that I cannot see on your thread.

I have provided two with different light contrasts so that you can choose which suits you best.

Fred

Attached Files:

20. summerfi

Thanks Fred. Beautiful medallion! Sorry for the delay. I've been away for awhile, but will get this posted right away.
    Bob