I Davis ?? Certainly early

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Jun 2, 2015.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

This again had to be an early -ish saw by what is left of the handle.

The name is not at all easy and is tentative at best. I did consider not putting a name at all hoping that it would not influence any possible opinion, but I think that it may be somewhere near right.

When I am looking at it, I am seeing a large spacing between the letters and possibly with a dot between each letter.

Having said all this, there is not an I or J Davis in BSSM.

There is something after the name, whatever it is, the last word looking like "Steel".

I have put more than one photo of each part of the mark up and put it in a much larger file than I normally do in the hope that it is clearer, or can be magnified by those of you who can do it.

Fred

Edit. File no. 006 is possibly the best image of the name that there is.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  2. Deesinister

Deesinister Most Valued Member

Hi Fred,
    Looking at it Im fairly certain it says German Steel

3. Bancroft3

Bancroft3 Member

It sure looks like I. or J. Davis to me.

4. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

5. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

But that could be a pit. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Toby and all,

Thanks for the replies. This identification looks like one that is not going to be bottomed.

You could well be right Toby in that the "L" goes below the chamfer and the serif comes back up.

I think and hope that Lloyd Davis came a little later than this mark and that your immediate post above is correct, that the putative serif is a pit.

But, one never knows.

Fred

PS Your avatar is superb. I have a thing for cats, having looked after them (I won't say owned) for the best part of 40 years. I hope that it didn't suffer too much in the taking of the picture. Then again, our children used to dress one of our more compliant ones up in dresses and wheel it around in a pram so who am I to comment on such things.

7. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Fred kindly sent me a highly pixellated version of his mark, and I drew a blank as well. And anyway, who wants to know everything?

Incidentally, Lloyd Davies was spelled a bit differently, although I have to admit I haven't the slightest idea where S&J got that name from.

8. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member