Lions Rampant. Saw unknown.

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Jul 7, 2015.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,
    I would not normally have given this saw a first look, let alone a second were it not for the rather curious disk attached to it and which I take to be a medallion. I hope that it is original to the saw and not some later addition.

I have looked through the saw medallions thread and the only thing that I can find that approximates to this one is a medallion on a saw by Lockwood, Leutkemeyer and Henry but the only common features seem to be the rather badly portrayed lions rampant.

I suppose that the "L" in LIFA could refer to either Lockwood or Leutkemeyer but the rest is a mystery to me, as is the inclusion of a pick into the image.

Does anyone have any idea as to whom this medallion refers, if it is indeed a genuine one.

Fred

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    pmcgee likes this.
  2. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

The nails look younger than the medallion.

3. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

This one says European continental, probably German, to me. I hope to be confirmed in the guess, but won't be surprised to be corrected.

4. Pastahill

Pastahill Member

Hello Fred
    I searched every German and European resurce what i know, but i did not find anything about this saw. The only thing what i can say is, that it is probably German. I would say somewhat in the 1950 - 60 from the style of the handle and the medalion. It is unusualy that a medalion was nailed, normaly they have 4 spikes on the sides which get bent 90 degrees to the back and than pressed into the wood. 1866 was probably the founder year of the company. I have a few saws in that style and they are all from the 60´s. This small saws where used like a back saw, because here in Germany a lot of cabinet makers don´t used back saws ( and they where cheaper than a back saw). Also what i can see on the photo is that the handle is riveted and this is also typical German for this era.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  5. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

I wonder if it's a coat of arms, rather than a saw maker? 1865 is significant in that it's the end of the American civil war, and there was a county of Liberia called LOFA...
    I've not been able to find a LOFA coat of arms. Maybe some Liberian historians might be able to help rule it in or out.

6. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

7. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

8. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

9. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Just a wild guess, but looking at the saw as a whole, which looks quite crudely made, I wonder if you should be looking for a toymaker rather than a sawmaker? It could still be late C19th and German. Does it look like a small saw for an adult or something made for smaller hands, to be included in a kit of toy tools?