J Spring, Remscheid

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by kiwi, Apr 29, 2015.

1. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

This appears to be an economy grade saw, the plate is not taper ground, and the handle is a thin-ish 7/8" thick and has a simple London Flat design and an unfinished "lamb's tongue". But its unusual to find old german saws in this part of Ontario, and the auctioneer was having difficulty in getting a bid for his handful of saws so I had to help him out :)
    I haven't seen this medallion before (one for Bob's Saw Medallion Reference Guide). It's written in english, probably indicating it was specifically designed for export to North America, and reads; "J Spring, Remscheid, Germany" (with "N"s backwards), and a central logo that may be a bird (Pastahill; do you recognise it ? ).
    Google indicates that "J Spring" was a trademame of H Boker
    Age ? with its old style rivets I'm guessing about 1900 (WAG)
    P1020870.JPG P1020872.JPG

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  2. summerfi

summerfi Most Valued Member

Nice find kiwi, and the medallion has been duly cataloged.

Bob

3. Pastahill

Pastahill Member

Hello Kiwi, I never heared about j. Spring in Remscheid and my search also had no results. But i know H Boker. The company was founded from Gottfried Böker (1734-1795) in Remscheid. 1838 founded Gottliebs oldest son Hermann ( Henry) the trading company "H. Boker & Co" in New York.Two of the younger sons, Robert und Heinrich (1814-1873), take over the company from there father and founded 1854 a " Steamgrinding Company". At the world exhebition from 1851 they showed of with a lot of tool including " large handsaws absolutely equal to the english". There normal sign is Tree or two pelicans. They are still on the market , but now with knifes.

4. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Thanks Pastahill,

I found a reference for German tool and blade makers and their trademarks, showing the name "J Spring" registered to Heinrich Boker (registration No 6761) http://www.archivingindustry.com/cutlers&toolmakers/cutlermarks-1.pdf

"J. SPRING (1895, no. 6761): Heinrich Böker, Remscheid. Registry class: 9b. Style: roman"

[The bird logo on my medallion does not seem to be listed in this reference, looks more like a woodcock (waldschnepfe) than a pelican]

5. Pastahill

Pastahill Member

I think you are right, that this saw was an export saw, because they had an export company and branch in new york and mexico. Also is a sunken medallion not common for a german saw. If you look on Bobs medallion reverence you see that there are only a few with this typ of medallion. Specially the cheaper ones had only rivets, and i would also think that with 1900you are on the right side. A cheap one but a rarly, unusual saw.