Richardson

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Dec 19, 2014.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

I got this saw along with a bundle of others when I bought the Carrington/partial named saw that I have put on here.

The interesting thing is that it did not appear in any of the images of the bundle and I believe that it was substituted for a larger (and heavier re. postage) handsaw with a broken handle and which I didn't want in any case.

It has split nuts, but on reading an article on Wiktor's site, Richardson's were not as timely as other manufacturers in changing over to the newer nuts.

It must be later than 1867 (the date on the medallion) but I haven't the faintest how much later.

The eagle, unfortunately has seen better days, but it is still a maker that I have wanted for a while.

Can anybody help out.

Thanks

Fred

Attached Files:

2. David

David Most Valued Member

Hi Fred,
    On Wiktor's site, there is also a time line of Richardson medallions. He dates yours from 1867 to 1876 0r 78. Any closer dating is beyond me.
    David

3. wiktor48

wiktor48 Most Valued Member

I would say it is close enough... :D

4. dyounmoses

dyounmoses Guest

I just worked through dating a nearly identical saw earlier today and according to a Richardson Brothers Back Saw type study published by Phil Baker the March 2012 Gristmill (Mid-West Tool Collectors Association) the saw dates to 1872-1876. Any earlier and it would have had a prominate hook on the handle and laters saws lose the split nuts. Mine has etch remanents with a 5 stamped on the plate that a little cleaning revealed.
    Regards
    David

5. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Thank-you all for the replies.

The saw that you see is a result of taking the red rust off the plate and back. It was quite badly corroded and I don't think that any etch would have survived. I may renovate it further at some time in the future and will look for a number tamped into the plate. It is quite possible that the corrosion that I have left on it is obscuring a stamp.

Fred