We are Moving -- (update) We Have Moved

Discussion in 'Announcements & Contact Info' started by ray, Aug 12, 2014.

1. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

The website is moving servers... in the next few weeks I'll be re-locating servers and that seems like the opportune time to try and fix some nagging problems..

I'm hoping to address the following...

The weird graphic characters that sometimes appear instead of punctuation.

The difficulty of uploading images to the gallery. (I'm thinking of a whole new gallery)

Making it easier to insert pictures in forum posts.

I'd also like to come up with a way of making a page per manufacturer, with contributed images and historical information summarized... ideas on this front are welcome.

A blog feature will be added, and special support for Simon's upcoming book will be included. News, Errata, late additions and reviews. etc.

The first steps have been taken and I've registered backsaw.co.uk as the transitional site name. So if you go to http://www.backsaw.co.uk and click on forum, you will go to the new experimental forum... You can post there if you like, Let me know what you think.
    But be aware that whatever you post on the new site will be erased when I do the final update from here.

Later backsaw.net and backsaw.co.uk will be the same site.

Regards
    Ray

2. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Ray
    Let me be the first to say I am looking forward to the new site. I have never had an issue with this site and commend you on its upkeep and time and I would also think capital. Well done.
    "Change is good" and may even help bring in new members. I think also the suggestion, a page per manufacture, would be wonderful.
    Carry on and don't let us hold you up.
    Joe S.

3. wiktor48

wiktor48 Most Valued Member

Ray,

I admire your decision and I believe it is a good decision.
    I am glad to know that you plan to include blog part to the site. I would like to know how do you plan to implement it - single user, multiple users, just you, what type of posts will be there, etc. Of course I don't expect you to answer all these questions right away - just something to think about.

The sawmakers pages is an excellent idea. Hopefully there will be a lot of pictures of saws there... ;-)

Overall, good step.

Wktor.

4. ray

Thanks Joe and Wiktor,

The blog facility I'm thinking will be available for users to publish their own. I'm sort of hoping that some will take the opportunity to show us a glimpse of their collection.. hint..

The one I'm playing with is wordpress, which is popular and easy to use. But I haven't made a final decision.

If you want a look as the development progresses
    http://www.backsaw.co.uk/wordpress/

Regards
    Ray

5. wiktor48

Ray,
    I looked at the new forum and the blog. Both look very good and classy. WordPress is a platform that is used on EAIA blog and I am somewhat familiar with it. I think it is a good platform and ferly easy to learn. It is also popular among tool and woodworker bloggers. So, with that it mind, you are most likely on the right track.

The forum package you have is really nice! I like how it looks and it is fast too.

You are on your way... ;-)

BTW, if you are a member of EAIA, and if I remember correctly you are, than you can get your own account to the blog and post something... just a small pitch. They started it sometime ago but I can't see to many volunteers there with some posts.

I am not involved with their website in anyway and do not belong to the website committee, but I really would like that blog to go... I am strong believer that exchange between different organizations and individuals, especially from different countries will benefit all collector's communities.

Anyway, congrats on your progress with new platforms.

Best, WK

6. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

This site is enormously important to me, and I'm sure to many other saw bores (the epithet my late mother applied to me), and we should all be grateful for Ray's quietly efficient and courteous administration of it - he sets a tone which is respectful and interested in the contributions and which seems to be notably absent from certain other methods of internet communication.

When I asked him a couple of weeks ago if he could find space on the site for me to post updates for my forthcoming saw book he (of course!) agreed at once, and we are working out how best to do this.

I shall personally find easier uploading of good sized pictures a great help.

7. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Fantastic!! How seamless will this be, will the site be down for a while?

8. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Still no answer!

9. ray

Hi Toby,

Sorry, I've no idea how seamless the transition will be... I've set up backsaw.co.uk so that
    will stay up from now on... but backsaw.net ip address change usually takes up to a day or so to propagate through the DNS databases, depending on TTL for cached DNS.

Was that the question?

Ray

10. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

That'll do.

Thanks Ray.

11. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

After a few minor hiccups, the move is complete, the final stage will be when the dns catches up in a few days time.

If anyone is having trouble logging into the new system, please send me an email by using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page.

Regards
    Ray

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  12. ray

13. admin

For those that use tapatalk, that should now be working on the new forum.

14. wiktor48

Looking good, Ray!

ray likes this.
  15. ray

Thanks Wiktor, Still doing minor tweaks, darkening some text colour for better contrast.
    I got rid of the default facebook and twitter buttons.. (apologies if anyone was intending to use those...) I can always put them back..:)

Next major addition will be the new gallery... on trial now.. if you are logged in you should see a menu item "User Albums" feel free to try it out,

I am trying to find an easy way to import the existing pictures from the coppermine gallery.

Ray

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  16. admin

Spammers have forced me to re-instate the manual registration approval process... I thought that a filter which required answering a few saw related questions would work... not this time..

All spam messages that I could find have been purged and the users deleted, if anyone spots any I've missed, let me know.

Ray

17. alicejohny

alicejohny New Member

So what sort of facilities would be available for the users in a new server???

18. ray

I've already moved to the new server.

Ray

19. Mariejurdy

Mariejurdy Member

Since the update, I cant seem to stay logged in and have to log in every time I visit...not sure if anyone else is having this problem.