Disston 99?

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by ChrisStef, May 29, 2014.

1. ChrisStef

ChrisStef Member

First timer here, so be easy on the new guy. I was wandering through a local antiques shop and came across this handsaw. In my best deduction its a Disston No.99 and wouldn't mind a little bit of confirmation on that. It appears to be filed 6 point (I haven't confirmed) and rip.

If you guys need any more pictures id be more than happy to oblige.

Attached Files:

2. David

David Most Valued Member

Hi Chris, and welcome. Your saw does look like a #99, from about 1890-1900. If you go to the disstonianinstitute.com site, you'll see pictures of several of them, and a few catalog entries, all of which will help you in identifying your saw.
    Of course, the surest way to identify it would be if you could read the etch on the blade. And then, if it's not immediately visible, you might have to discover the arcana of raising an obscured or rusted over etch. I'll leave that for others to discuss with you at some point.
    Still, a fine saw and a good find.
    David

3. ChrisStef

ChrisStef Member

Much thanks David. I gathered my info over at the DI which lead me to believe it was a 99. Under the rust I can see a partial etch but theres no way im reading it without getting rid of some of that rust.

Ive been using PermaBlue to try and revive lost etches but im not sold on it just yet. What im really hoping for is to find a marking, that wonderful little "X", underneath the handle once I remove it.

I appreciate the welcome.

4. ChrisStef

ChrisStef Member

image.jpg Happy dance.

5. ChrisStef

ChrisStef Member

Heres the final pics of the cleaned up 99.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. summerfi

summerfi Most Valued Member

A rare and beautiful saw, Stef. Nice job on the clean up.

Bob

7. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Looks good ChrisStef, and nice horn repair.

Did you do anything special to make the etch stand out so well ?

8. ChrisStef

ChrisStef Member

Thanks bob & kiwi. I appreciate the kudos, especially on the horn. It was my first repair. As for the etch i hit it with some permablue gun bluing but im not convinced it helped out all that much. It was in amazing shape to begin with. I will admit that i did use some photo editing on my iphone for that particular pic

This is without the editing.
    . [​IMG]

9. steveatkinson

steveatkinson Most Valued Member

Disston 99

Hello Chris,
    what a great looking saw, you have done just enough there to bring out the character & quality of the saw, great find.
    I really must get out and about more ie to car boot sales and the like.
    Keep up the good work , I look forward to seeing further finds, GOOD LUCK

10. theoldfart

theoldfart Member

Stef, so your not thrilled with the blueing? I've been hesitant to try it on mine. Again great restore and enjoy the saw.
    Kevin