Sykes / Spring

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by David, May 6, 2014.

1. David

David Most Valued Member

Hello All,

Here's a recent happy addition. It looks very much like the dovetail saw in the Seaton chest, although the front point of the handle doesn't seem quite as long or as pronounced. And, also like the Seaton saws, it's marked "Spring". All of which is just to bolster my hope that it's from at least the late 1790's. I welcome any comments, possible dates, suggestions or debunking that anyone may offer.

The bottom rear horn had been sawn off and I found the desecration very troubling, so I had our friend Joe (Need2Boat) repair it. He did a fine job and I hope the repair doesn't cause any offense. The photo of the rear of the handle shows just how much had been removed.

David

Attached Files:

2. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey David
    What a wonderful saw. I am very impressed with the sensitive restoration, hidden repair on one side and visible on the other. Nothing being hidden. Well done.
    It looks so much like one of the early Seaton saws though it may have been helped a little with the handle restoration. I would assume the SPRING is the short version of Spring steel.
    If the Seaton saws were marked that way I don't see why it can be concluded that it fits the time frame. I think it was later in the 1820s that saws were marked spring steel.
    I would be tickled with this saw...enjoy.
    Joe S.

3. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Congratulations on a beautiful saw. Joe (Need2Boat) has done the repair perfectly and for anyone who hasn't seen Joe's web site, it's well worth a look ( or two :) ) http://www.secondchancesawworks.com/

And I nearly forgot he has a blog here http://positiverake.com/

William Sykes was in partnership with Kenyon from around 1809 to 1816 or so, then on his own from around 1820 to 1823 or so.

I'm deeply envious..!

Ray

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  4. David

David Most Valued Member

Joe and Ray,
    Thanks for your nice comments and helpful information. I alerted Joe that his ears should be burning from your complimentary remarks on his work.

I've only ever seen that "Spring" mark on the Seaton chest saws which causes me to wonder about it showing up on a Sykes saw dating from the early 1820's. But, then, I haven't seen all that many saws from that time. And I guess they easily could have had the stamp still laying about the shop twenty-odd years later.

Could it be possible that Sykes made saws under his own name while in his earlier partnership with Kenyon? Or could Samuel Sykes, cutler, (perhaps William's father?) who shows up in Gales & Martin 1787, have tried his own hand at sawmaking or engaged Kenyon to make some saws for him? Ah, the joys and pitfalls of speculating on little information. It only ever gets me in trouble.
    Regards,
    David

5. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Sykes/spring

What a beauty! I wouldn't have much hesitation in assigning this one to his first listing under his own name - 1786-1790 (address The Isle, the same as Kenyon). Because the trade directories were sparse and irregular (Napoleonic wars) it's pretty likely that we don't know what happened to him throughout his career. He was listed in partnership with Kenyon from 1809-1820, address The Wicker (a main street a couple of hundred yards away from the Isle), but it's hardly likely that he was not making saws from 1790-1809. In the 1821 directory only he's listed at 33 Pye Bank, again not far away, but I have a feeling that it may have been a residential address, as there are no other saw makers ever listed there. In the 1823 directory he is listed on his own at Willey Street, again a Kenyon address, and in fact a small side street just off The Wicker, so it may even have been the same premises as in 1809-20 with Kenyon. And then gone.

Those horns have an almost baroque flourish - one of those saws that seems to hold you as much as you hold them.

6. David

David Most Valued Member

Simon, thanks for that information and for dating the saw back to Sykes' early days. I'm really happy to finally have a for-sure 18c saw, and, yes, it sure is pretty! I enjoy it a lot. And now having a clearer understanding of where it fits in Sykes' career only adds to that enjoyment.
    Let me also say that every time you comment on this forum, I realize just how great it'll be to have your book available to us all. It's going to be such an improved resource, all in one place; way beyond any online directories we now have available with so much broader information.
    Thanks very much for all your help,
    David

7. Barleys

Sykes/Spring

I have a map which is much more informative than the description I gave of the Sykes/Kenyon early premises, but I can't see how to show it here in a reasonably legible size - I've sent to Ray with a wimp-ish request to see if he can do the necessary.
    When (I'm sure he can) it comes up, you will see a red circle round certain of the work places - these are the pre-1800 saw makers, with Sykes and Kenyon just south of the Wicker, the Isle a little to the W of them, and the Pye Bank address is about on the letter N of the diagrammatic compass.

8. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Simon,
    Here is the map.. I could post a higher resolution image, if you have one?

[​IMG]

In the 1889 reprint of Gales & Martin 1787 Directory, there is a

Samuel Sykes cutler Hollis Croft, ( Williams Father )

which is where John Harrison and Son (saw makers) Hollis Croft were..

I wonder if there is a connection between William Sykes and John Harrison?

Ray

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  9. Barleys

Sykes/Spring

thanks a lot, Ray - I knew you could!

And no, it's the only image I have.

How to tie together these Sheffielders is so difficult: as you can see from the map, the place was so small, and everyone was crammed in to this space, so that everyone must have known everyone else, certainly by sight and reputation.

When Joseph Wilson wrote out his book of invoices in 1768 he only put addresses in for less than 10 of his 200 or so debtors - they were all known simply by name.

10. need2boat

need2boat Most Valued Member

Ray and others, thanks for the kind words on the repair. It's always a good day when things work out well.

I get the chance to put my hands around a good deal of totes and it's always a wonderful feeling when it feels "just right" but the extra special part is the fit not just at the top of the hand but also at the lower end of the grip. Getting both area to fit in unison is tricky and my hats off to the maker.

I'm guessing it wasn't made on a Monday or a Friday. :) The oblong cheek shape, and the Chamfer stop with that little notch is sweet.

Joe