T. P. Baxter

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Feb 8, 2014.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

The American seller of this thinks that it is American, mid 1800's and possibly related to CM Baxter of New Hampshire, saw maker.

Now, whilst I accept that the seller probably knows a lot more about American saw makers than I do, I am not so sure that it is an American saw.

Having said that, I cannot find this maker in any of the directories and HSMOB and so I am being as vague as the seller and proposing that it is related to the saw makers (and/or merchants) Potts, Baxter and Brumby, 4 Arundel St, 1833 to 1837 (HSMOB).

There is a Baxter and Co., Robert at 4 Arundel St in 1847. (HSMOB) but I think that this saw is a bit younger than that.

I think that the placing and style of the mark is certainly pre 1835 and if the blemish between "cast" and "steel" is a dot, then late 1820's and which just may tie in with Potts, Baxter and Brumby as above.

As per normal a Wag.

Does anyone have any real ideas.

Fred

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  2. Deesinister

Deesinister Most Valued Member

P or B

Hi Fred,
    That P looks like a B to me. Don't know if that helps
    Al

3. fred0325

Hi Al,

You may be right about the "B", but I am afraid that even that doesn't help from the sources in the online directories.

An "R" could possibly be a little more useful, but it is the "T" that is the real sticking point.

Thanks for the nudge, though

Fred

4. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Fred,

I'm inclined to think it looks more 1820's Britain, than 1870's American.

I don't think it's Baxter, Potts and Brumby

According to the London Gazette of January 15 1839, the partnership was between

Lawrence Potts,
    Robert Baxter
    William Ward Brumby

Partnership dissolved on 30th December 1838..

It might be worthwhile to trace the Baxter Family...

The only Baxter's I found are..
    In Pigots 1828 a John Baxter Pen and Pocket Knife Manufacturers
    In White's 1833, a Robert Baxter ( Merchant )
    In White's 1919 a Robert Baxter & Co edge tool manufacturers.

The style of the saw is too early to be the 1919 reference... so we are still none wiser. :)

Ray

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  5. Deesinister

T or a J

Hi Ray,
    Just a thought,(maybe clutching at straws here) but the top of the T looks a lot shorter that the top of the t in the baxter. There are also no seriph terminals.
    Could the T actually b a J?

Desperate I know...

6. fred0325

Thanks Ray and Al,

As you point out Al, the horizontal bar on the first letter has no serifs and it is a little shorter than the cross bars on the "T's" in the rest of the stamp.

It could therefore quite easily be a J, and in fact the seller thought that it was a "J", but I didn't believe him.

This brings us, in part at least (one too many initials, bit I can cope with that) to the penknife manufacturer of about the right age.

The second initial, unfortunately is not an "R" if the "R" in Baxter has been fully and completely stamped. Which may have brought us to Ray's Merchant, especially as I think that the mark may have been bright stamped and which may indicate a generic saw with a later stamp. It is clutching at straws though.

Ah well, thank you for trying but I think that this is one that will have to go into the unresolved box, hopefully for the time being only.

Fred

7. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

TP Baxter

A bit of a puzzle, Fred!

Maybe the answer is that partnerships seem to have put out products marked with one only of the names (saved on a more expensive, longer, mark?), and I wouldn't mind a (small) bet that the first initial is a J. Since we don't know the relationships of the various Baxters of the 1830s, I'd bet again (maybe even smaller) that JRBaxter could have had something to do with the Potts, Baxter & Brown partnership of the 1830s - the saw looks compatible with that date to me?

8. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

If I google Simon's suggestion of "Potts, Baxter & Brown" I get a hit for advertising in the Sydney Herald 17 Feb 1842. There are three PB&B Ads, the relevant one for saws being;

Table Cutlery and Pocket Knives.
    JUST RECEIVED, by the undersigned, a
    fresh supply of the above articles; also tools,
    files, and saws, from their manufactory in
    Sheffield.
    POTTS, BAXTER & BROWN

[the other Ads are for "Iron and Steel", and for "Superior Plate Powder"]

9. Deesinister

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  10. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

11. fred0325

I like the looks of the book, but not the price. I am saving my pennies for when Simon's comes out.

12. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

TP Baxter

Thanks for the remark, Fred, but really Geoff T's book is far better on detail than mine (in my defence, he had fewer firms to study, and nearly all his sources could be based round Sheffield).

and Kiwi's remark - gratefully received - shows that my entry on PB & B could be improved with that information - and that as soon as the book is finally designed, it's out of date... (some of it is now finalised, but at least we haven't got as far as the letter P).