back for more help

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by robert, May 28, 2013.

1. robert

robert Active Member

hello all i'v been working a lot the past few months. now i'm back for some help. while pulling some saws out of my mothers house i found this one. not sure of the maker or model. it has raised nuts. no medallion or space for it. plate is 26 inches long. 1.75 at the toe. 6.25 at the heel. 7ppi. the etch looks like a snow storm at night. i'm thinking that it maybe a stamp and not an etch. to be fair with those helping i'll probaly be selling it at auction when i find out the maker.

Attached Files:

2. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Cone nuts,

Disston used them in the early years on some saws, like this #10...

[​IMG]

Wheeler Madden & Clemson used them, but they were "decorated"

Other saw companies used them too, you will have to find something on the blade to ID the saw.

Disston used them with side plates on their second line saws at least until WW1. Like this Jesse Lane saw...

[​IMG]

Toby

3. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

The handle wood looks like beech, if it's a US saw it's not a first line saw.

Looking at your blade, I see (I think) IL on the left side, and RE on the right, but I'm not sure about that.

What do you see?

Toby

4. robert

robert Active Member

i see a saw plate that comes close to matching my truck bed liner. in person the last 3 on the right almost look like ard. it's a great cryptogram. i live with in 20 minutes of the city of philadelphia. every street corner around here has an old barn on it. for years i would get saws like this at yard sales. i need to get over to my mothers and make some photos of the stash i have. it's 30 plus years of hoarding saws. started when i was 10 or 12 years old. i did not like baseball cards. folks would laugh at me whats that kid doing with all those saws.
    if you gave me a saw it gave me a smile. birthdays holidays any occasion i would get an old rusty saw for a gift.

5. robert

robert Active Member

an artist i am not. here is what i see.

Attached Files:

6. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

My suspicion is that part is might be 'Hardware' ... or a name ?
    ... the number of letters does seem to be more than eight ...

Many US saws were made with a hardware store brand on them ...

... we could start a thread if anyone was interested ...

Cheers,
    Paul

As a 'for instance' ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  7. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

I'm interested....start one Paul.

Toby

8. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Brings up an interesting point...the etch that we're deciphering (and yes I think it's an etch, not a die stamp) is well to the right of center, and could very well be a secondary etch.

Robert...look in the center of the blade for another etch...see if there's anything there.

Toby

9. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

Me and my big mouth. :D

10. robert

robert Active Member

thanks guys i'll get this cleaned up better. i have been leaning more to it's an etch now. i need a better camera . a few months ago we broke the wife's. kinda funny how when she brakes something its we and when i do it its only me. as for your hardware store thread sound great. i'm trying to thin the basement of saws and today i buy a disstons no 7 made for j.b. shannon.

11. robert

robert Active Member

i found this stamped under the handle.

Attached Files:

12. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Another Browne!

Not to be confused with the second line Disston Brown's #3.

I exchanged posts with someone somewhere who had a Browne #3 (not a Brown's #3) that had split nuts and a flush sanded Warranted Superior label screw. The only explanation that I could suggest was that it might be an early Brown's #3. It didn't seem likely, but the handle was similar to the Disston and it had the #3 on the blade. I can't find it now and I don't know which forum it was on! Had pretty good pictures too if I remember correctly. I'm telling this just in case it is helpful to someone in the future.

Toby

P.S. If anyone comes across that thread, please let me know.

13. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

THIS one apparently was stamped under the handle also.

Toby