docked blade edge

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by need2boat, Aug 6, 2012.

1. need2boat

need2boat Most Valued Member

Hello,

I'm in the process of fixing up a few early saws one's an early Disston No7 and the other 2 are S&J. All three are split nuts.

I noticed that all three the top corner of the blade that sits in the handle has been but. I first thought the Disston had a replacement blade but after looking at other early saws. The S&J however are also cut the same way and I can tell from the nuts the handle was not removed.

Any idea why they did that. Was there concern the metal would crack the handled? It just seams odd to have the large open slit at the top.

Joe

Attached Files:

2. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks Most Valued Member

Joe,

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking why the top corner is knocked off?

Not sure I can answer that, but can you show better pics of the handle mortise and both top/bottom of the handle?

3. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Hey Joe,
    Can you show the 'under the handle' area with the handle out of the way? And wipe it off a little so I can see the letters and numbers.

Toby

4. need2boat

Alan,

Allen yes that's correct. I'm wondering why they cut the top corner off on these early saws. I mostly seen it on early split nut saws. What I found strange is they cut the plate slot deeper in the handled then needed. It's like that on all 3 of the S&J saws I have and two of the early Disstons.

I'll take a look and see what I have at home for pictures. I left these at my shop as I have a full plate this week of saws to sharpen and figured these will sit till the weekend.

Joe

5. need2boat

Toby,

I will look and see if I have a pic or I'll one this weekend. Most of the early Disstons are marked with an X or 7. I keep a running file of plate marks as I've been wanting to do a blog post about them in the future.

What's your thoughts on the Mark. I know some feel it was used to grade the steel and other feel it was just used to designate the final saw model.

I can tell you I've seen mostly X's on number 12's and a few No 7s. Some of the Richardson saws had "8" on them.

Joe

6. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

I have done no research at this point, but the "X" is present on saws that have the word "EXTRA" in the etch. This may refer to "Extra Refined London Spring Steel", or to the extra taper that "X" marked blades have.
    But I'm looking at other marks. The Disston in the above picture appears to have "U J" as well as something above the "7" and something like a "J" that is partly covered by the handle.

Toby

7. need2boat

ok, got side tracked with a few saws. the last few night. Toby I don't have a good picture of the plate but I can take one this weekend. This shows the handle of the S&J saws.

Just to be clear what I'm wondering is why they would cut so deep into the handle if they knew in advance they were cutting the back corner off the plate? You don't see that on later saws. The cut matches the plate.

these are the rest of what I took showing the plate and the gap at the back?

Joe

Attached Files:

8. need2boat

Took some closer shot of the plate. It looks like there is UJ or maybe JJ stamped in the upper corner. Then a 7 which this saw is, then another J made with the same stamp a littler lower. I'm guess the 2 letter stamp is the person who made the saw.

Joe

Attached Files:

9. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

In the Disston saw factory many men were involved in the making of a saw, not just one. Perhaps a final inspector prior to "handling up". (that's just a guess)

Toby

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  10. need2boat

I agree with your thinking, but this saw would have been made earlier then the full blown production the catalog your referencing to illustrates.

I was also talking with a friends and fellow member David Latouche over the weekend about the docked corner in the handle slot being over cut. His thinking was along the lines of mine in it has to do with reducing pressure and a tendency for the handle to crack at the back edge. We looked over 5 or 6 split nut early saws and all the corners were docked and the handles slots about 1/4 to 1/2" longer then needed.

The extra space would also allow for movement of the plate without the handle cracking of it was to slightly loosing up in use.

Joe