help with Britsh Maker

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by need2boat, Jul 10, 2012.

1. need2boat

need2boat Most Valued Member

I'm still building up my info on the British front and since the etch in the plate is gone wasn't sure if anyone could tell me who the maker is from the nut.

reads:
    Sheffield
    Patented
    Trade Mark
    Warranted

has an "A" inside a Shield

Beach handle, I would guess it's 1910-30's but open to comment.

thanks

Joe

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  2. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Joe
    You actually have an American saw. It was EC Atkins second line and sometimes you will see Columbia where the Sheffield is. The "A" inside the shield I assume was for the Atkins. Lots of info out there once you get on the right track.
    It cleaned up real nice and should be a good worker.
    Joe S.

3. need2boat

Joe thanks for the info. I figured out the Atkins connection as we'll but hadn't gotten around to posting. I love the idea of naming the saw after a place in England known for saw making. I wonder how many were sold thinking they were British.

It's a very nice cutting saw. I've only owned a few Atkins and they all cut nice. I filed this one with 10 rake and 10 fleam and it a great long lasting cross cut or rip saw in a pinch.

Cheers

Joe

4. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

[​IMG]

Is this the way they were made, or has the edges of the 'hole' been relieved by a previous user for comfort reasons?

Toby

5. need2boat

Hey Toby,

Are you talking about the screw holes and how the heads sit? They are counter sunk like that from the factory. I'm sure with time they have sunk and little and it's not a great picture. They site proud of the surface but nut as much as say, a Disston from the same time.

Joe

6. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Sorry about the confusion Joe, I was referring to the 'hole' where your fingers go. (does that have a name?) It looks like someone smoothed or rounded over the area where you grip the handle. It appears to be lighter in color and doesn't match the contour of the forward part of the 'hole'. The fasteners look fine.

Toby

7. need2boat

Toby,

Not sure either if the opening has a name. I think the flat sides of the handle are part of the design rather then previous owner sanding it. You'll find some of the later Disston's also like this.

Joe

8. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

The rounded over part not the flat part. The light colored areas in the picture on this thread.

Toby

9. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Toby,

I think that the handle has been modified, presumably by sanding as I don't think that usage would have created the wear patterns in the form of the light coloured indent at the top of the handle. If that had been done by a human hand, think of the damage done to the hand in order to create it.

Some "post lamb's tongue" handles can have quite sharp edges to them which may prove at little uncomfortable to some, hence the what I believe is the adaptation.

Having said that, your handle looks a lot like my "A Marshall" handle,

http://www.backsaw.net/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=58&jfile=showthread.php&t=295

and if you use your index finger as a guide and do not have 4 fingers in the grip, then on my Marshall, whilst my fingers come nowhere near the site of your indent, if I use the top knuckle of my thumb to grip the handle forcing it downwards into hole where my fingers go, it sits exactly where your indent is.

And it is uncomfortable

I have done a couple of quick pics to show what I mean. I saw with my thumb extended as I suspect that most of us do but if you should saw with it tucked in, then that would present a problem on an unmodified handle.

I think that the rest of the light yellow areas on your saw may be an original finish as they match to a reasonable degree the sanded areas on my Marshall.

Excuse my grubby fingers but I have been cement grouting my kitchen floor.

Fred

Attached Files:

10. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Not my saw Fred, belongs to Joe the OP. I was asking about the modification, but the OP seems to be avoiding the question. To my eye someone has removed some wood with a rasp or sandpaper around the back of the hole, and the back of the handle. It is readily apparent by the light colored areas. Your Marshall has a uniform radiusing around the hole, the OPs saw is sharp cornered at the front and more rounded at the back, with an obvious transition at the top, and a smoother, but still obvious flare-out at the bottom. I'm not being negative, it is just an observation.

Toby

11. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

12. need2boat

I can take for picts if anyone is interested. Not trying to hid anything. there were outtakes. of from when I took pic. I really don't think the handle was sanded. I think any difference in color is due to my pictures. I'm not the greatest at it. It could also be the shellac or wax I rubbed on.

Regardless I think it's a nice saw. Cuts well.

JFF

Attached Files:

13. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

No accusation, just observation. I have no doubt that it is a nice saw, and would be an excellent tool to have and use. If it has been sanded to smooth out the 'corners' it will probably be an even better tool to have and use than it was before.

Toby