Help with ID

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by sawnuts, Jul 12, 2017.

1. sawnuts

sawnuts Member

Folks,

I just purchased this and I need some help with dating and ID.

it is 14" long and the handle looks to be beech. I do see what I think is GERMAN STEEL stamped on the spine. Also WALYZ.... The W and Z are quite distinct and it looks like maybe 5 or six letters long. Both stamps are near the bottom of the spine.

FYI, The saw plate is straight although the tooth line is not. The handle is tight. This saw could be made into a nice user. Not a lot of pitting on the back but the front has some pitting.

I came here to look at the list of British makers but it seems to be gone.

Any help?

Mark

Attached Files:

2. sawnuts

sawnuts Member

After doing a little research, I think what I am looking at is a W. Tyzack saw. It has a steel back by the way.

Any info would be helpful. I'm not sure on the companies history.

3. David

David Most Valued Member

Hi Mark,
    Thomas & William Tyzack began making saws together in 1814 and split up in about 1823. William worked on his own from 1825 to 1837, then brought in his sons (W. Tyzack & Sons) from about 1845 to 18767 and then joined with Turner in 1879 to form W. Tyzack Sons & Turner who made many many saws until 1974. All this is from British Saws & Saw Makers. And I'm surprised with your deep interest in saws that you don't have your own copy yet. It's a terrific read with lots of useful info that also pertains to the American saws that you and I both collect.
    In any case, it's from fairly early in Sheffield's history, before the huge players took over. I'm fond of W. Tyzack saws myself, for some reason and that looks like a nice one.
    David

4. sawnuts

sawnuts Member

Thanks David,

So I assume, based on what I see and what you say that I may have a saw dating to the 1825-1837 era.

Do I know you? You sound like you know me. I do have an interest in saws and have been collecting for around 15 years. I still pick them up occasionally but I am more interested in using them of late.

Thanks for the info.

Mark

5. David

David Most Valued Member

Hi Mark,
    Yes, your saw is from then, about 180 or 190 years old and sounds from your description that it's still probably in good shape with a little cleaning. We met at a MWTCA meet once in a hallway...I had a box of saws. I think it was Michigan City. And you and I are both Friends of Phil's. And have the T-shirts to prove it.
    David

6. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Mark, Tyzacks are always nice to find, especially that early.

The saw makers checklist database is still there. but the original database plugin I used to display and search it, is not compatible with the current generation of CMS software.

I'm still looking.

Regards
    Ray