Saw Medallions

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by summerfi, Feb 26, 2014.

1. summerfi

summerfi Most Valued Member

Greetings all,
    I've assembled an online Saw Medallion Reference Guide that is now approaching 100 medallion images. If you have any medallions you would like to contribute, you can post the images in this thread and I'll transfer them over. I thought it would be useful to have as many of these as possible in one location as a reference. Thanks.
    Bob

Charlie Earnest likes this.
  2. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Fantastic collection, Bob - my own of British ones should about double your total, and appear with my book in a few months (crossed fingers). But I don't want to spoil the anticipation, so will keep them back for the time being.

Simon

3. summerfi

Very understandable Simon. I can't wait to see your book.
    Bob

4. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

It is surprising how many medallions I don't have.

I only have 3 that you don't have already from Britain and none from America.

Here they are.

Fred

There are quite a few Brittains on here id you look in some of the earlyish threads. Try:- http://www.backsaw.net/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=58&jfile=showthread.php&t=193

I will also try and find my Slack Sellars and Graysons on here as well, I don't have a retained photo of it but you may be able to take it off of this site.

http://www.backsaw.net/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=58&jfile=showthread.php&t=205

Attached Files:

5. summerfi

Thanks very much Fred. Those are some fine additions indeed.
    Bob

6. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Hi Bob,
    Another S&J version and couple of English WS medallions. The eagle design is also used on the J Talor & Son (Taylor Bros), but my example here has been modified with a pin through it and you should probably wait for a better example.
    Merrick Anderson (Canada, hardware store)
    WS american

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  7. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Some more;
    Three from Germany(2 from Baier, one WS), one Czech'
    Steigo (from China), and a mystery

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  8. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  9. Barleys

I'm shamed into sharing by so many others' generosity (to us all, and so often to me personally), so am preparing as many of mine as I can (got to 63 tonight, but need to be up early to go to a David Stanley auction tomorrow - to buy more saws?)
    Will get them into viewable form as soon as I can master the technology.

Open to suggestions for the best way to get high-res pics for sharing!

Simon

one to be going on with - one of my favourites and the earliest - Samuel Hill (Sheffield, c1825) - how did this art form spring up in perfection out of nothing?? (excuse the grammar, it's late)

Attached Files:

10. summerfi

Wow! Thank you all so much. This is incredible! My hope is that having all these in one location will be a useful resource for everyone in the saw-admiring community.

Simon, please don't feel guilty or pressured to share your medallions at this time. I, for one, would be just as happy to have the pleasure of seeing them all when I open you book for the first time. I'm really looking forward to that time. And...I would give just about anything to be able to accompany you to that auction. Have fun.

Bob

11. pmcgee

I guess people had been coin-making since before the Romans ... so maybe not that great a leap?
    Cheers,
    Paul

12. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Bob
    I will start by adding a couple of British Medallions that I didn't see in the list. I am sure Simon will have these but we can start here. Marsh Brothers and Christopher Johnson and Co.
    Great stuff
    Joe S.

Attached Files:

13. summerfi

Nice additions Joe. I'm amazed by the variety and artwork on saw medallions. That's the third beaver medallion I've seen. There must be some symbolic connection between beavers chewing trees and saws cutting wood. In fact, the variety of animals on saw medallions is interesting. Let's see, we have lions, unicorns, elephants, kangaroos, lambs, lynxes, beavers, flying greyhounds, horses, dragons, eagles, phoenix birds, swallows, and fish. Am I missing any? :)

14. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

"...Am I missing any?"

humans ?

15. Barleys

Snap! Paul. I have a picture of a Greek coin c500BC (of Metapontum, an early Greek city state) - it even has that characteristic ring of dots round the periphery - but which saw manufacturer was a fan of collecting Greek coins?

Attached Files:

16. pmcgee

17. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

A couple more.

The Sorby and S and J are pretty box standard ones (modern at that) but they have the rings/labels round them.

I do like the D and S though. I have not seen many of them.

Fred

Edit. I see that you have the D and S already. The only difference with mine is that it is ground flat without the raised edges.

The S and J is not that different either to ones that you have but I think that mine has an extra layer of writing around it.

I must look more closely before posting.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  18. summerfi

Fred, all additions are appreciated. These are great, so thanks!

Paul, etches would be a challenge. Needs to be done, but I'm not sure I'm up to it. Maybe someday?

Bob

19. pmcgee

20. pmcgee