little Jackson saw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by BigDaddyO, May 13, 2013.

1. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Thanks Jim,
    We're good.
    I have wondered if the Jackson name had anything to do with Jackson Gorham, who's patent was used by Disston to make the combination saws.
    I have also read speculation that he named some of his second line saws after Disston employees in gratitude for their service.
    We will never know for sure.

Toby

2. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks Most Valued Member

I would say "thought" being the key word here...this is why when it comes to collectibles and antiques, opinions are like @$$#O!E$...everyone has one.

While it looks right, I wouldn't say that. So be it, we all have our opinion. I will just say that nobody has any clue to the real history on the saw in question. Can you tell me for certain that the handle hasn't been replaced? Can you tell me what life is has lived?

I didn't think so...:rolleyes:

I have no real data that says it is or isn't a saw that was manufactured by Disston, and quite honestly it doesn't matter. The etch makes it a rare saw, period. ;)

3. JCrammond

JCrammond Member

Alan,

Thanks for your opinion.

Jim

4. BigDaddyO

BigDaddyO Member

I did not think this saw would generate this much attention.

The rare saw statement concerns me a little. As i said above, i'm planning on taking a file to this to remove the teeth and then re-tooth it much finer to use as a dovetail saw. "that was back when i thought it was a hair above a junk saw".

Would it be a crime to continue on with my initial plan?

5. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey All
    Even though it may not be a common etch, file away and use it to your heart's content. I would think that if you have one, and it is a later date saw, there are more out there and probably in better shape. It is a user saw and it is yours.

Enjoy it

Joe S.

6. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks Most Valued Member

It's a saw after all. Just because I mentioned the etch makes it rare, the word "rare" is relative...the saw itself is not in great shape and much of the plate has been filed down already.

It's not like you just found a saw that is worth a million bucks...it's more like being worth $50 vs. $25, or even worth $100...it doesn't matter as saws are not worth THAT much. I think it would be hard to sell the saw for $100, so if that value means a lot to you, by all means keep it and don't use it.

7. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

Was/Is Spear&Jackson a visible brand in the US market?
    It certainly is/was here in Australia, but I have rarely seen S&Js on US ebay ... only a few 1890-1920s looking handsaws.

Thanks,
    Paul

8. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

9. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

Thank you for that reference!