need some help to id

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by robert, Aug 20, 2012.

1. robert

robert Active Member

hello all, i had this saw for a while now and can't seem to id it i have a feeling it may be a cut up kenyon. it's not something that i know much about. thanks in advance for any help robert
    it looks like someone used horse shoe nails to hold the handle on.

Attached Files:

2. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Well, it could be a Kenyon, or a Kenyon and Sykes, or a Sykes & Co. What made you think Kenyon?

This is a Sykes & Co.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a broken Kenyon and Sykes.

[​IMG]

Your handle doesn't match exactly. Is there a die stamp on the blade?

Toby

3. robert

robert Active Member

i picked kenyon based on the lack of photos. never thought about one of the partners. the little notch by the toe end may help name the maker.i'll need to dig a little deeper into some other makers...robert

4. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

If you mean this,

[​IMG]

I think that's a user modification.

There are many early London pattern saws that look similar, it's going to be difficult to positively identify your saw without a die stamp, or at least part of one. Is there anything on the blade?

Toby

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  5. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Robert and Toby,

I am perhaps not going to be of much help here, but I second Toby on having another look for a stamp on the blade. I cannot believe that a saw like that does not have a stamp.

It may even need cleaning a little more in order to bring it out, but if it is a saw as early as a Kenyon you may not wish to do it, and I don't think that anyone would argue with you.

What you could do is look at the blade under different light intensities and at varying oblique angles. We use low voltage (sorry, correction, wattage) bulbs which come in, effectively, slightly different colours and even that can make a difference in bringing a stamp out.

Hope it works

Fred

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  6. robert

robert Active Member

i was thinking to rub some chalk on it then trying to press tape over top of it. maybe the chalk stays in the stamp. i'll give the low voltage light a try .maybe even use the wife's eyes. i will be out of town for a week. when i get home i'll post some results.

7. robert

robert Active Member

hello ,all
    will the stamp be on the left side or the right side? Middle , top or bottom? thanks robert

8. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Place the saw flat on a table (or something) with the handle on the right, and the teeth pointed at you. The stamp will be somewhere close to the center of the blade. (between the handle and toe, not the center of the whole saw)

Toby

9. robert

robert Active Member

so here is where the eyes play tricks on ones mind. is there a chance that a blade could have a crown stamped in it? so far all i can make out is TTD .robert

10. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Robert,

A crown is definitely a possibility, although in isolation not vastly useful. TTD is better. Could it be LTD (limited) which would put the saw after 1850 -ish?? or even warrenTED which is perhaps more likely.

When I have got the ghost of a mark, I ring it in chalk to mark its position on the blade and them have a look with a strong maginfying glass such as one for looking at silver marks. You could also try photographing it. I have a digital camera with a facility for virtually getting the lens physically touching the saw blade, the focal length is so short. This can do wonders. It is surprising how much can be brought out on a photo under the right light and the right viewing angle.

Even if you don't think that you have anything on the photo, it would still be interesting to see it. Someone on this site (I have unfortunately forgotten who, possibly many who are more computer competent than I) is able to alter shades/contrasts which may bring the lettering out. It is worth a go.

Fred

11. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Maybe SheffiELD? Post some pictures, but they need to be clear.

Toby

12. robert

robert Active Member

it does not look like sheffield. last week at the antique motorcycle swap meet i broke my wife's camera. good photos will be a bit hard to come by for a while. i may try electrolysis rust removal. i'll upload this photo just to annoy the ones trying to help me

Attached Files:

13. robert

robert Active Member

sorry about that photo. it looked better small...robert

14. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Try copy and paste instead of download.

Toby

15. robert

robert Active Member

[​IMG]
    i think it would be best if i took more photos. this looks like a tv. on the brink

16. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Yep, looks like a picture of the street.

Toby

17. robert

robert Active Member

sometimes you need to exhume the body to see who is buried in there. again the eyes and mind will play good tricks with you thought of what you have. i do have a half inch circle with the word warranted arched above it. i think i see a horse head on the right side of the circle. i think i see a triangle above the word warranted. so far that's all i got...robert

18. robert

robert Active Member

disregard the horse head. it may just be scroll work? i can see feathers coming from the bottom left of the circle. it looks like warranted is spelled WARRANETD...ROBERT

19. robert

robert Active Member

as you can see i'm no artist. here is what i think i see...robert

Attached Files: