New tool for machining parts...Rivett 1020F

Discussion in 'Saw Makers Forum' started by TraditionalToolworks, Apr 22, 2012.

1. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks Most Valued Member

I just got this lathe in my garage today. I bought it a few weeks ago, and had to wait to pick it up. Got up last week to pick it up, and kept it on my flatbed through the week with a tarp over it. Today, a rigging company came over and moved it off the flatbed into my garage.

This beast weighs about 4000 lbs. It is stout and built like a brick $#!T#OU$E...:rolleyes:

Trivia: This machine came out of the Hershey factory in Oakville, CA. They closed down in 2008 (4 years ago) when they moved their operations to Mexico. Hershey was going to keep it but then decided after a couple months that they weren't sure what to do with it, so sold it to the company that managed all the moving for them. The seller bought it from them and was planning to keep it for his own use, but being a welder he found that he didn't use it over the past 4 years. This is possibly one of the finest toolroom lathes ever built.

No power to it yet, it takes 220v 3-phase, 220v 1-phase, and 110v 1-phase. I believe all is powered off the 3-phase, the main unit is a 5HP motor.

Attached Files:

2. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Alan,

Wow, nice machine, that's got to be one of the nicest lathes around, a guy in Melbourne has a Rivett 608, very smooth by all accounts ... these quality machines just radiate stability and quality..

My dream lathe is a Schaublin 135, but I'll struggle on with my taiwanese 12x36... sigh!

Regards
    Ray

EDIT... here's a link back to the WW forums... http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/silly-thing-me-offer-really-151436/#post1477846

I wonder if that constitutes an infinite loop..

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  3. TraditionalToolworks

Yes, it is. Possibly one of the finest toolroom lathes ever built.
    Another nice lathe, but this is my dream lathe. :)

I believe this will do the same. There are stops on the carriage rod that are set for that I believe. The one Brett Flemming is running in that video is slightly different, but work very similar. Mine is one of the last ones produced, after Leland-Gifford bought the company.

Rivett didn't sell to the private sector until after they sold the factory, at least my understanding. Or the U.S. Government had standing orders for all the lathes they built.

It is a fascinating machine, it sold for 40% more than a Monarch 10EE.

What the Monarch did through electronics to provide a variable speed drive, Rivett did through mechanics, and the 1020 operates similar to the Hardinge lathes where it has a variable pulley/belt.

My lathe is #441, one of the last ones built. The 1020F/1030F had a slightly larger swing, 13-1/2" opposed to 12-1/2" that the S had, and it has an electronic tachometer. Mine has a taper attachment and collet closer (needs a minor repair). I got almost a full set of 6R collets, missing 3, from 1/64 to 1-1/8" in 64ths (1/64, 31/64, 31/32 are missing). I got 71 collets, one was a dupe (29/64) and a 6R/3MT collet). Can you imagine spinning 1/64" rod on this lathe ??? ;)

Most would say this lathe is overkill for me. It is one of the finest toolroom lathes built, thought by many.

This brochure was xeroxed and in the back of my manual that Hershey had for it.

http://db.tt/scUmQR0n

4. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Alan,

I'm insanely jealous, but also, I'm pleased that it's found a home where it will find the love and tender affection it deserves...

It's unlikely that you'd ever find another I'd expect.... Meantime I'll keep looking for my Schaublin 135... must be out there somewhere... :)

Regards
    Ray

5. TraditionalToolworks

That will be the last lathe I buy...(famous last words;-)
    Yes, this one was a find, and there are not a lot of them. Mine is one of the higher numbers, although I've seen one that was 536 on the UK lathe site, mine is 441.

Your Schaublin 135 is out there, those have a really cool feature in that it has a lever and wheel driven tailstock. They are nice machines. That and a Deckel would be a great pair, heh? :rolleyes:

Here's some of the tooling I got...full set of collets minus the 1/64, 31/64, 31/32 with an extra 29/32 and a 6R/3MT.

Toolholders, Aloris on left, Phase III on right with a Phase III piston post. Bench block.

Steady Rest (pretty rare, very hard to find).

Wrenches and spanners.

Wrenches.

Jaws, 6" in front, 8" in back.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012